1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical energy of frictionless pulley

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the system shown, the block M (mass of 15.65 kg) is initially moving to the left with a speed of 3.4 m/s The mass of m is 8.26 kg and the coefficients of friction are μs=0.411 and μk=0.304. The string is massless and the pulley is massless and frictionless. How fast will M be traveling when m has fallen through a height h=2.47 meters?

diagram: http://is.byu.edu/courses/univ/694820121008/media/8_problem_blockmass.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Ef - Ei = Kf - Ki + Uf - Ui = -fkd + ∑ W_otherforces

K = 1/2mv^2
    U=mgy

3. The attempt at a solution

Since M does not have any change in potential energy, but it is acted on by a tension force, I got

Ef - Ei = 1/2mvf2 - 1/2mvi2 = -fkd + T
    where fkd = μkMgd and T = (( μk+1)Mg)/(1+M/m)

I solve for vf but keep getting the wrong answer. The answer should be about 4.32 m/s
    What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello DNS, welcome to PF :smile: !

I looks like you are adding an energy (fkd) to a force (T) That can't be !

It also looks like your change in kinetic energy doesn't depend on M, which is very strange.

Finally, your energy balance should also have a term Uf - Ui which I miss in your solution attempt.

If you show your work, step by step, I may be able to answer your question. With the information you provide now it's impossible.

(And I do get 4.31 m/s if I use g = 9.81 m/s2 )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted