Conservation of Energy/Force in Bungee Jumping

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the law of conservation of energy and setting the force of the spring equal to the force of gravity in solving a problem involving a person jumping off a bridge with a bungee cord. The main question is when to use each method and it is concluded that for this specific problem, conservation of energy is the appropriate approach.
dtseng96

Homework Statement

A person stands on a bridge that is 100 m above a river and attaches a 30-m-long bungee cord to his harness. A bungee cord, for practical purposes, is just a long spring, and this cord has a spring constant of 40 N/m. Assume that your mass is 80 kg. After a long hesitation, you dive off the bridge. How far are you above the water when the cord reaches its maximum elongation?

Homework Equations

Uspring, initial + KEinitial + Ugravity = Uspring, final + KEfinal + Ugravity

kx = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So my main problem with this question is that if I use the law of conservation of energy, where
Uspring, initial + KEinitial + Ugravity = Uspring, final + KEfinal + Ugravity, I get a different answer for this question than if I set the force of the string equal the force of gravity.

For spring problems such as these, can anyone clarify for me when to set the force of the spring equal to the force of gravity, or when to use the law of conservation of energy? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the potential energy of the bungee cord at the top of the jump?

well by my understanding, you will get a different answer because you shouldn't use g for your acceleration. Your acceleration is instantly changes when you begin to stretch the bungee cord.

- I hope this helps!

But gravity still pulls with the same force, no matter what speed he is accelerating at.

sorry

Last edited:
1. Please read the forum rules. We do not give away the answer. The poster has to show an attempt at a solution first. Second, we still can't do all the work for them. We can point out mistakes, give them hints, etc. But we do not do the problem for them.
2. That's still wrong. The bungee cord was not stretched from the time he jumped off the cliff. Until the jumper fell 30m, there was no potential energy change in the cord. There are a few ways to account for this, but I won't say anything more until the original poster gives a response.

frogjg2003 said:
1. Please read the forum rules. We do not give away the answer. The poster has to show an attempt at a solution first. Second, we still can't do all the work for them. We can point out mistakes, give them hints, etc. But we do not do the problem for them.
2. That's still wrong. The bungee cord was not stretched from the time he jumped off the cliff. Until the jumper fell 30m, there was no potential energy change in the cord. There are a few ways to account for this, but I won't say anything more until the original poster gives a response.

sorry I'm new and still haven't read all the rules on posting I'll take done my response immediately.

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your help! I'm sorry for not being very clear before, but my main question was the last line in my post: "For spring problems such as these, can anyone clarify for me when to set the force of the spring equal to the force of gravity, or when to use the law of conservation of energy?" My book actually gave the solutions for this problem, so I already know the steps to finish the problem. :)

But anyway, what I realized was that we can't set the force of the spring equal to the force of gravity (kx = mg) because at the maximum compression, the force of the spring is greater than the force of gravity. So I'm supposed to use the law of conservation of energy here.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough before. Again, thanks for all of the help :)

You can set the spring force equal to the gravity force. But you can only do that when the spring is at equilibrium. What happens then is that you get a new equilibrium point. In your case, you're right, you wouldn't set the forces equal. This is really only solvable with conservation of energy.

1. How does the conservation of energy/force apply to bungee jumping?

The conservation of energy/force states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of bungee jumping, the potential energy of the jumper at the top of the jump is converted into kinetic energy as they fall, and then back into potential energy as they are pulled back up by the bungee cord. This process repeats until the jumper comes to a stop.

2. What is the role of gravity in bungee jumping and conservation of energy/force?

Gravity plays a crucial role in bungee jumping and the conservation of energy/force. It is what pulls the jumper towards the ground, converting their potential energy into kinetic energy. Without gravity, bungee jumping would not be possible as there would be no force to pull the jumper down.

3. How does the length of the bungee cord affect the conservation of energy/force in bungee jumping?

The length of the bungee cord affects the conservation of energy/force in bungee jumping by determining the amount of potential energy the jumper has at the bottom of the jump. A longer cord will stretch further and store more potential energy, while a shorter cord will stretch less and store less potential energy. However, the total amount of energy remains the same, as it is conserved throughout the jump.

4. Can the conservation of energy/force be violated in bungee jumping?

No, the conservation of energy/force cannot be violated in bungee jumping. As mentioned before, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In bungee jumping, the total amount of energy remains the same throughout the jump, even though it may change forms.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the conservation of energy/force in bungee jumping?

Yes, there are safety concerns related to the conservation of energy/force in bungee jumping. It is important for the bungee cord to be properly designed and attached to ensure that the energy is transferred safely and the jumper is not injured. There are also weight and height restrictions to consider, as well as proper training and equipment for the jumper to ensure a safe and successful jump.