Bungee Jumping Energy (with drag)

In summary: I haven't checked your arithmetic, but you're still not taking into account what's happening at the moment when the acceleration is zero. What can you say about the forces then?At max velocity, which way is the jumper moving, so which way is drag? Is that the same way as mg or opposite?At max velocity, the jumper would be moving down, so drag would be in the opposite direction of mg.
akgtdoskce

Homework Statement

A 102kg man bungee jumps with a 20ft (~6m) cord (k=167 N). Air resistance is 12N.
1. What should be the minimum height of the platform the man jumps off?
2. What is the maximum velocity he will reach?
3. How high will he bounce up the first time?

Homework Equations

Uelastic_initial+ KEinitial + Ugravity = Uelastic_final + KEfinal + Ugravity
Elastic Potential Energy= 1/2kx^2
Kinetic Energy= 1/2mv^2
Gravitational Potential Energy= mgh
mgh = (1/2)k(h-L)^2, where L is unstretched distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen a lot of threads on similar bungee jumping problems, but I'm still not clear how the 12N air resistance would factor in. I know W=Fd so the air resistance would be multiplied by displacement, but beyond that I'm not sure where to add/subtract when applying conservation of energy.
Am I right in thinking that the equation mgh = (1/2)k(h-6)^2 could be used if air resistance is negligible? If so, how could I adjust for the 12N air resistance?
(Also, any additional help on the three questions would be much appreciated... I feel like the correct thinking to get the answers is way beyond me)

Physics news on Phys.org
Update: Okay, so here's what I attempted to do. Could anyone let me know if this thinking/my answers make sense?to find height: mgh = (1/2)k(h-6.1)^2+Wdrag
h= 22.37m.

to find height bounced up to:
mgh=.5k(22.37-6.1)^2-12h
h=21.388 m

to find velocity:
1/2mv^2+Wdrag=mgh
.5*102*v^2+12*6.1=9.8*6.1*102... since height here would just be unstretched length of cord, right?
v=10.8685 m/s

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

akgtdoskce said:
mgh=.5k(22.37-6.1)^2-12h
h=21.388 m
I get a slightly larger number (less than 22).
akgtdoskce said:
height here would just be unstretched length of cord,
Will the jumper stop getting faster as soon as the cord is taut?
akgtdoskce said:
v=10.8685 m/s
Looks like you made a decimal place error before square rooting.

haruspex said:
I get a slightly larger number (less than 22).
Oops, I actually have 21.838 written down. Was it just a typo or should I completely redo the calculation?

haruspex said:
Will the jumper stop getting faster as soon as the cord is taut?
I thought maximum velocity would be at this point because kinetic energy starts being transferred to elastic energy as the cord then stretches.

haruspex said:
Looks like you made a decimal place error before square rooting.
I'm doing sqrt (118.1247059) to get the 10.8685 answer...can't quite locate my mistake.

akgtdoskce said:
Oops, I actually have 21.838 written down.
That's what I get.
akgtdoskce said:
I thought maximum velocity would be at this point because kinetic energy starts being transferred to elastic energy as the cord then stretches.
Yes, but gravity is still doing work. How do you normally find the maximum of a continuous variable?
akgtdoskce said:
I'm doing sqrt (118.1247059) to get the 10.8685 answer...can't quite locate my mistake.
No, my mistake - sorry. But the answer is wrong as noted just above.

haruspex said:
Yes, but gravity is still doing work. How do you normally find the maximum of a continuous variable?
I have no idea... I've never heard of a continuous variable before and a quick search doesn't really return how you would find the maximum.
Oh wait, is this integrals? If so, it's way beyond the math my class level should capable of.
Would it make sense to set KE+Wdrag+GPE equal to the initial GPE?
51v2+73.2+(102*9.8*(22.37-6.1))=22361.052 ? Edit: never mind, this just gives the same answer.

Last edited:
akgtdoskce said:
I have no idea... I've never heard of a continuous variable before and a quick search doesn't really return how you would find the maximum.
Oh wait, is this integrals?
I was thinking in terms of calculus, yes, but differentiation. Anyway, we don't really need calculus here.
If an object accelerates up to some speed, then stops getting faster, what can you say about the acceleration now?

haruspex said:
If an object accelerates up to some speed, then stops getting faster, what can you say about the acceleration now?
Well if its velocity is now constant, acceleration would be 0. But if the object is slowing down then acceleration is negative.

akgtdoskce said:
Well if its velocity is now constant, acceleration would be 0. But if the object is slowing down then acceleration is negative.
Right, so what is the acceleration at the moment of maximum speed?

haruspex said:
Right, so what is the acceleration at the moment of maximum speed?
Acceleration would be 0. I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this though.

akgtdoskce said:
Acceleration would be 0. I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this though.
So think about forces when the acceleration is zero.

haruspex said:
So think about forces when the acceleration is zero.
Well when acceleration is zero there's no net force. However there's still gravity acting on it along with elastic potential energy...? So these would all be equal?

akgtdoskce said:
Well when acceleration is zero there's no net force. However there's still gravity acting on it along with elastic potential energy...? So these would all be equal?
"elastic potential energy" is not a force. Other than that, you're on the right lines.

haruspex said:
"elastic potential energy" is not a force. Other than that, you're on the right lines.
So force of the "spring" instead? F=-kx 167*x =mg
x=999.6/167= 5.99? I"m confused as to what I'm solving for at this point? Is it displacement/height?

akgtdoskce said:
So force of the "spring" instead? F=-kx 167*x =mg
You left out drag.
akgtdoskce said:
x=999.6/167= 5.99? I"m confused as to what I'm solving for at this point? Is it displacement/height?
Well, what does x represent in F=-kx?

haruspex said:
You left out drag.
Fspring-Wdrag=mg
I'm always confused as to whether I should add or subtract drag.
167x-12x=mg
x=6.45 m

haruspex said:
Well, what does x represent in F=-kx?
Well x represents displacement from equilibrium, so it's the extra distance that the cord has stretched beyond the 6.1m?

Using this I get velocity to be about 15.59 m/s, unless I"m still missing something.
Edit: also getting 11.17 if I use 6.45m as height.

Last edited:
akgtdoskce said:
Fspring-Wdrag=mg
I'm always confused as to whether I should add or subtract drag.
At max velocity, which way is the jumper moving, so which way is drag? Is that the same way as mg or opposite?

akgtdoskce said:
167x-12x=mg
That's not right. What would the dimension of 12x be?
akgtdoskce said:
Well x represents displacement from equilibrium, so it's the extra distance that the cord has stretched beyond the 6.1m?
Yes.
akgtdoskce said:
Using this I get velocity to be about 15.59 m/s, unless I"m still missing something.
Much closer.

haruspex said:
At max velocity, which way is the jumper moving, so which way is drag? Is that the same way as mg or opposite?
Drag would be in opposite direction of mg, so it would be addition then? I'm not very good at envisioning these things.

haruspex said:
That's not right. What would the dimension of 12x be?
Should it just be N then, and not N m?

Is 15.25 m/s any closer? 167x+12=mg, x=5.9

akgtdoskce said:
Is 15.25 m/s any closer? 167x+12=mg, x=5.9
Right equation and number for x, but not what I get for v. How did you calculate v? Are you forgetting drag again?

haruspex said:
Right equation and number for x, but not what I get for v. How did you calculate v? Are you forgetting drag again?
KE+Wdrag=GPE
.5mv^2+12(12.01)=102*9.8*12.01
v^2=232.5701176
am I using the wrong value of h or rounding prematurely?

akgtdoskce said:
KE+Wdrag=GPE
.5mv^2+12(12.01)=102*9.8*12.01
v^2=232.5701176
am I using the wrong value of h or rounding prematurely?
No, it's the potential energy in the cord you've forgotten.

haruspex said:
No, it's the potential energy in the cord you've forgotten.
KE+Wdrag+EPE+GPE=GPEinitial
.5mv^2+144.12+(.5*167*144.2401)+(102*9.8*12.01)=102*9.8*22.37
I'm getting a square root of a negative again.. what am I doing wrong?

Edit: for the elastic potential energy, if I use 5.91 instead of 12.01, I get 11.96 m/s.

akgtdoskce said:
+(.5*167*144.2401)
Explain how you get the numbers in there.

haruspex said:
Explain how you get the numbers in there.
Just realized, should the 144.2401 (12.01^2) be just 5.91^2 instead?
In that case I get 11.96 m/s.

akgtdoskce said:
Just realized, should the 144.2401 (12.01^2) be just 5.91^2 instead?
In that case I get 11.96 m/s.
Looks like you have all the equations right now, but I get 13.24 m/s.

haruspex said:
51v2+144.12+(.5*167*34.9281)+(102*9.8*12.01)=102*9.8*22.37
51v2+144.12+(2916.49635)+(12005.196)=22361.052
sqrt (143.0439147)= 11.96
I guess I still have some numbers wrong in there then?

haruspex said:
On second thoughts, this is wrong:
akgtdoskce said:
...+(102*9.8*12.01)=102*9.8*22.37
That would mean the lost gravitational PE is 102*9.8*22.37 - 102*9.8*12.01, but it isn't. It's 102*9.8*12.01.

haruspex said:
That would mean the lost gravitational PE is 102*9.8*22.37 - 102*9.8*12.01, but it isn't. It's 102*9.8*12.01.
So in essence it's just
KE+Wdrag+EPE=GPE
Okay, cool. I get the 13.24 m/s as well.
Thank you for all your help! Not only in answering this question (finally) but also with those concepts that my physics teacher failed to properly teach...

akgtdoskce said:
So in essence it's just
KE+Wdrag+EPE=GPE
Okay, cool. I get the 13.24 m/s as well.
Thank you for all your help! Not only in answering this question (finally) but also with those concepts that my physics teacher failed to properly teach...
Phew! You're welcome.

What is "Bungee Jumping Energy (with drag)"?

"Bungee Jumping Energy (with drag)" refers to the potential and kinetic energy involved in a bungee jump, taking into account the drag force that acts on the bungee cord as it stretches and contracts.

How is bungee jumping energy affected by drag?

Drag force, caused by air resistance, acts against the downward motion of a bungee jumper, reducing their speed and thus the amount of kinetic energy they have. This means that the total energy of the jump, which includes potential energy at the top and kinetic energy at the bottom, will be less than if there was no drag present.

Does the length of the bungee cord affect the bungee jumping energy?

Yes, the length of the bungee cord directly affects the amount of potential and kinetic energy involved in a bungee jump. A longer cord will allow the jumper to fall further, increasing their potential energy at the bottom, but also increasing the amount of drag force that acts on the cord.

How does the weight of the bungee jumper impact bungee jumping energy?

The weight of the bungee jumper plays a significant role in bungee jumping energy. A heavier jumper will have more potential energy at the top of the jump, but will also experience more drag force on the way down, resulting in a different energy profile compared to a lighter jumper.

What other factors can affect bungee jumping energy (with drag)?

Besides the length of the bungee cord and the weight of the jumper, other factors that can affect bungee jumping energy with drag include the elasticity and thickness of the bungee cord, air density, wind speed, and the shape and position of the bungee platform. These factors can all impact the amount of potential and kinetic energy involved in a bungee jump and should be taken into consideration when designing a safe and thrilling bungee jumping experience.