How does mass of the bungee jumper effect a safe jump

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics major who is conducting a practical on the effects of mass on the safety of a bungee jump. They are struggling to find a relationship between the two and are considering factors such as tensile strength, stiffness, and damping effect of the rope. The expert reminds them to put in their own effort and suggests thinking about potential harmful incidents in a bungee jump. The conversation ends with the expert refusing to give out the answer and reminding the student to continue their research.
gagzi bear

Homework Statement

physics major practical, I was supposed to change the mass and find how it effects the safety of the jumper.But since hooks law doesn't follow bungee cord i really can't find a relationship.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used a bungee cord and hung different masses on it and recorded the relevant extension of the bungee.and I got a curve sort of thing when i graph.
i don't understand how to show how mass effects the safety.
i figured out the conservation of energy equation for this prac
mgh=0.5kx^2 by doing some calculations of PE and KE

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to think what behaviour of the system would be unsafe at a given site.

haruspex said:
First, you need to think what behaviour of the system would be unsafe at a given site.
im thinking how to show that there is a point where the string would break. and show that using there is a mass it can hold.
ive done my practical changing mass and taking the stretched distance

gagzi bear said:
im thinking how to show that there is a point where the string would break. and show that using there is a mass it can hold.
ive done my practical changing mass and taking the stretched distance
That would depend on the tensile strength of the cord.
There are at least two other safety considerations.

haruspex said:
That would depend on the tensile strength of the cord.
There are at least two other safety considerations.
yes but i was told to use mass as a factor affecting the safety of a bungee jump.
i don't know how to use my data to find tensile strength

gagzi bear said:
yes but i was told to use mass as a factor affecting the safety of a bungee jump.
i don't know how to use my data to find tensile strength
I mean, two other safety considerations in which mass will be relevant.

haruspex said:
I mean, two other safety considerations in which mass will be relevant.
wow i don't know that can you please tell me

gagzi bear said:
wow i don't know that can you please tell me
It is not our way to spoon feed the answers to school work. You are expected to put in the effort yourself.

What kind of harmful incidents might occur in a bungee jump?

jbriggs444 said:
It is not our way to spoon feed the answers to school work. You are expected to put in the effort yourself.

What kind of harmful incidents might occur in a bungee jum
the only way i know is because of heavy mass of jumper the string breaks and he hits the ground.
except for like bad jumping

gagzi bear said:
the only way i know is because of heavy mass of jumper the string breaks and he hits the ground except for like bad jumping
Imagine yourself in a bungee jump. As you approach the ground, what do you feel? What possibilities worry you?

haruspex said:
Imagine yourself in a bungee jump. As you approach the ground, what do you feel? What possibilities worry you?
since I've never been on a bungee jump
i would worry if i would hit the ground.
are you talking about speed or gravity

gagzi bear said:
since I've never been on a bungee jump
i would worry if i would hit the ground.
are you talking about speed or gravity
Yes, hitting the ground is certainly a concern. That would happen if the rope breaks, but there is another way it could happen.
Also consider why an ordinary, but very strong rope would not be suitable.

haruspex said:
Yes, hitting the ground is certainly a concern. That would happen if the rope breaks, but there is another way it could happen.
Also consider why an ordinary, but very strong rope would not be suitable.
because the stiffness would change the damping effect and would not stretch properly and would lose the fun

A particular form of execution is based on stiff ropes...

how is that related to bungee jumping

Both involve a rope bringing a falling person to a halt.

yah makes sense now.
So what do you want me to answer now.
im pretty much stucked in the same place since 12 hours without knowing the answer.
and doing researches
so can you please tell me so that i can take a rest

gagzi bear said:
so can you please tell me so that i can take a rest
No. That is not what we are here for.

1. How does the mass of the bungee jumper affect the length of the bungee cord needed?

The mass of the bungee jumper directly affects the length of bungee cord needed for a safe jump. The heavier the jumper, the longer the bungee cord needs to be in order to provide enough resistance and prevent the jumper from hitting the ground.

2. Does a heavier bungee jumper experience a faster or slower fall?

A heavier bungee jumper will experience a slower fall compared to a lighter jumper. This is because the force of gravity is the same for both jumpers, but the heavier jumper's mass will require more force from the bungee cord to slow down their descent.

3. Can a bungee cord support any amount of weight?

No, a bungee cord has a limit to the amount of weight it can support. If the bungee cord is not strong enough to support the weight of the jumper, it could break and cause a dangerous situation. It is important to use a bungee cord with an appropriate weight limit for the bungee jumper.

4. How does the mass of the bungee jumper affect the speed at which they are pulled back up?

The mass of the bungee jumper does not affect the speed at which they are pulled back up. The speed at which the jumper is pulled back up is determined by the elasticity of the bungee cord and the force of gravity.

5. Does the mass of the bungee jumper have any impact on their safety during the jump?

Yes, the mass of the bungee jumper can impact their safety during the jump. A heavier jumper may experience more force on their body during the fall and may need a longer bungee cord to ensure a safe jump. It is important for the bungee cord to be able to support the weight of the jumper to prevent any accidents or injuries.