Conservation of Energy from human physiology

In summary, Hermann von Helmholtz was a German physicist, physician, and philosopher who discovered the principle of conservation of energy. He rejected the dominant philosophical paradigm of Naturphilosophie and the concept of vital forces, which were thought to be necessary for muscle movement. His 1847 physics treatise on the conservation of energy was influenced by his medical studies and background in philosophy. He rejected the speculative tradition of Naturphilosophie and demonstrated through his studies on muscle metabolism that no energy is lost in muscle movement. This was a significant contribution to the development of the concept of energy conservation in science.
tade
From the wiki page on Hermann von Helmholtz:

"an 1847 physics treatise on the conservation of energy was written in the context of his medical studies and philosophical background. He discovered the principle of conservation of energy while studying muscle metabolism. He tried to demonstrate that no energy is lost in muscle movement, motivated by the implication that there were no vital forces necessary to move a muscle. This was a rejection of the speculative tradition of Naturphilosophie which was at that time a dominant philosophical paradigm in German physiology."

What were these 'vital forces' and what was the paradigm at that time? How would this lead to CoE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vital force would be "life force".
A living thing was thought to possesses something extra, a spark of life, that distinguished it from inorganic materials. So the life energy would be something different than the inanimate object energy.

I would have to speculate that Helmholtz rejected that idea, and made the assumption that living and non-living are governed by the same laws.

tade said:
From the wiki page on Hermann von Helmholtz:

"an 1847 physics treatise on the conservation of energy was written in the context of his medical studies and philosophical background. He discovered the principle of conservation of energy while studying muscle metabolism. He tried to demonstrate that no energy is lost in muscle movement, motivated by the implication that there were no vital forces necessary to move a muscle. This was a rejection of the speculative tradition of Naturphilosophie which was at that time a dominant philosophical paradigm in German physiology."

What were these 'vital forces' and what was the paradigm at that time? How would this lead to CoE?

The term 'vital forces' was probably just a fill-in for use when they ran out of serious explanations for some of the life processes. Biology was a devil for doing quantitative measurements in those days .(Still is, I think, or people would have sorted out slimming diets and fitness by now).
Hats off to him if he could do serious Input / Output measurements and get conclusive results. It was much easier to work with steam engines to prove the point about CoE.

sophiecentaur said:
The term 'vital forces' was probably just a fill-in for use when they ran out of serious explanations for some of the life processes. Biology was a devil for doing quantitative measurements in those days .(Still is, I think, or people would have sorted out slimming diets and fitness by now).
Hats off to him if he could do serious Input / Output measurements and get conclusive results. It was much easier to work with steam engines to prove the point about CoE.

Reminds me of a bloke called Santorio Santorio (yes, twice)

I think it's connected to the concept "vitalism", which was a paradigm before the development of organic chemistry. The discovery of the Wöhler synthesis was an early refutation of vitalism;

Wikipedia said:
The synthesis of urea (and other organic substances) from inorganic compounds was counterevidence for the vitalist hypothesis that only organisms could make such compounds.

DennisN said:
I think it's connected to the concept "vitalism", which was a paradigm before the development of organic chemistry. The discovery of the Wöhler synthesis was an early refutation of vitalism;

It's interesting to study scientific history and changing paradigms.

Fun stuff, quote;

Wikipedia said:
Vitalism has sometimes been criticized as begging the question by inventing a name. Molière had famously parodied this fallacy in Le Malade imaginaire, where a quack "answers" the question of "Why does opium cause sleep?" with "Because of its soporific power."[32] Thomas Henry Huxley compared vitalism to stating that water is the way it is because of its "aquosity".[33] His grandson Julian Huxley in 1926 compared "vital force" or élan vital to explaining a railroad locomotive's operation by its élan locomotif ("locomotive force").

:rofl:

DennisN said:

lolz.

Lemme just add: Homeopathy WORKS!

Even though I posted some fun quotes, I'd like to add that it would of course not be fair to ridicule every vitalist from that time. o:) Hindsight is easy for us living now. Many scientists probably did the best they could.

DennisN said:
Even though I posted some fun quotes, I'd like to add that it would of course not be fair to ridicule every vitalist from that time. o:) Hindsight is easy for us living now. Many scientists probably did the best they could.

I am sure it is alive and flourishing quite well in some corners of society.

DennisN said:

This Moliere was a comedian, so it seems like the scientists of those days weren't doing so well. Perhaps it was easier to ridicule science back then. Hmm..

I agree, hindsight is easier, if only more people would learn from history.

256bits said:
I am sure it is alive and flourishing quite well in some corners of society.

Perhaps. But that's different from scientists in the past.

Last edited:

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to human physiology?

In human physiology, the conservation of energy applies to the energy balance of our bodies. This means that the energy we consume through food and drink must be equal to the energy we expend through physical activity and basic body functions.

3. What are some examples of energy conversion in human physiology?

Energy conversion in human physiology can occur through various processes such as digestion, respiration, and muscle contractions. For example, when we eat food, our bodies convert the chemical energy in the food into mechanical energy to power our muscles and other bodily functions.

4. How does the conservation of energy affect weight management?

The conservation of energy is crucial in weight management because it dictates that in order to lose weight, we must expend more energy than we consume. This can be achieved through a combination of a healthy diet and regular physical activity.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated in human physiology?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all physical systems, including the human body. Our bodies may be complex, but they still follow the same laws of energy conservation as everything else in the universe.