1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy spring problem

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m=2.00 kg is attached to a spring of force constant κ=500 N/M. the block is pulled to a position xi=.05m and released from rest. Find the speed the block has as it has passed equilibrium. Assume frictionless.

2. Relevant equations
    ΔEsystem=ƩT(transfer)
    Δk+ΔU=W

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am assuming that this is a non isolated system.So I am having trouble setting up this equation I know work done by spring=1/2kX^2 and I know what Δk is, but Do I need to include the difference in elastic potential? I have seen this worked out without the elastic potential. why is it not included? and they just solved 1/2mv^2=1/2kx^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    You know that when the mass vibrates and there is no friction the total energy of the system remains constant. The total energy E is,

E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2 = constant = 1/2k(x_o)^2 where x_o is the initial amount the spring is stretched.

1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2 = 1/2k(x_o)^2 but we want to know v when x = 0 so,

1/2mv^2 = 1/2k(x_o)^2

So use the last equation you wrote but remember x is the initial amount the spring was stretched.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook