1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy - spring

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hh86igL.png
    Hello, I'm having a problem with this. So we drop the weight on this spring, and the question is: how much does the spring compress? The mass is 5kg, the height 0,4m, and the spring elasticity factor k=1700N/m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to equalize the potential energies of when we drop the weight, and when it's all the way down. It looks like this: m(h+ΔL)=(1/2)*k*(ΔL)^2. I get a quadratic equation, and solve it. I get two answers one with +, and one -. I've tried to enter the positive one, and it's not correct. Should I enter the negative one, or is my whole attempt faulty?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like you left out g in your gravitational PE term, otherwise, looks good. Think positive.

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    Should it be g*m*(h+∆L)=(1/2)*k*(∆L)^2, because if it's on both sides it's the same

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted