1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservation of Energy -- Toy car hits and compresses a spring

1. Jan 1, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A toy car has a mass of 2 kg moves with initial speed of 2 m/s on a rough horizontal plane of μκ=0.14.A spring with constant of 250 N/m is fixed. Which of the following statements is true ?
    A) The toy does not approach the spring
    B) The toy just touch the spring[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    C) The toy compress the spring
    D) The toy back with constant speed on the surface

2. Relevant equations
    ΣF = ma
    Fκ = μκ FN

3. The attempt at a solution
    ΣF = ma
    -Fκ = ma
    Fκ = μκ FN
    a = - μκg = -0.14 * 10 = - 1.4 m/s^2
    vƒ^2 = vi^2 + 2 a d
    = 4 - 2*1.4*3 = - 4.4 (negative) --> A) The toy does not approach the spring.
    Can somebody check my answer please ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2018 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have missed out some information from the question. The car is moving towards the spring, but you don't say how far away it is.

4. Jan 1, 2018 #3
    d = 3 m

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Jan 1, 2018 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a strange way to do things. Surely you ought to solve for ##d## and see whether it is less than ##3m##?

6. Jan 1, 2018 #5
    which law to use??

7. Jan 1, 2018 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got the correct equations. What you did was calculate the velocity squared when the car had moved ##3m##. You got a negative answer and concluded that the car doesn't move ##3m##. This is not wrong, but it seems illogical to me. I would have calculated how far the car moved before it stopped. That just seems a lot more logical.

8. Jan 2, 2018 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Strange question... Are the wheels of the toy car stuck? Is there anything else you have left out?

9. Jan 2, 2018 #8
    No

10. Jan 2, 2018 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then why does the friction of the surface matter?

11. Jan 2, 2018 #10
    I haven't missed out anything else . There is a friction between the wheels and the surface . I got the answer by finding the distance , and it was less than 3 m , so the correct answer is A .

12. Jan 2, 2018 #11

Delta²

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wheels have to be perfect circles in order for friction not to do any work..

13. Jan 2, 2018 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the wheels are turning, the friction between them and the surface is irrelevant. It is rolling contact.
    There will be friction in the wheel axles, and some rolling resistance (look that up).
    If the wheels do not skid then no work is done against friction.

14. Jan 2, 2018 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Given that some toy cars don't have wheels that actually rotate, it's impossible to agree on what the question actually intended. It's difficult to imagine a toy car on a rough surface without significant resisting forces. I suspect, therefore, that the OP solved the question as intended.

15. Jan 2, 2018 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps, but I feel it is important that Fatima is not left with the misunderstanding that this is just standard friction. It is a common blunder.
    Your argument would be more reasonable if the question did not specifically refer to "μk".
    There is also the possibility that it is a trick question. This is made more likely by the list of alternatives beyond "the car does not reach the spring". Why have a spring? Why not just ask whether the car reaches some point?
    @Fatima Hasan , have you had it confirmed that your answer is officially correct?

16. Jan 2, 2018 #15
    No

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted