1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy up a ramp.

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose there is a block attached to a spring with spring constant [itex]k[/itex]. The block is pushed so that it compresses the spring a distance [itex]x_1[/itex]. The block is released and slides without friction up a ramp, coming to a maximum height [itex]h_1[/itex] above the ground. Suppose we compressed the spring twice as far, what maximum height does the block now reach?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]SPE = \frac{k x^2}{2}[/itex]
    [itex]GPE = m g h[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Conservation of energy, for the first situation then the second:
    [itex]SPE=GPE[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{k x_1^2}{2} = mgh_1[/itex]
    [itex] h_1=\frac{k x_1^2}{2mg}[/itex]

[itex]SPE=GPE[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{k (2 x_1)^2}{2} = mgh_2[/itex]
    [itex] h_2=\frac{k 4x_1^2}{2mg}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{h_2}{h_1} =\frac{k 4 x_1^2}{2mg} * \frac{2mg}{k x_1^2} = 4[/itex]

However the answerI have (this is from a course I took a long time ago) says it goes [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] times as high. Did I do something stupid here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I agree with your result.
    Maybe the original question was the other way round? If the height should double, which factor do you need for the spring?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted