Conservation of Energy, Velocity, Ramp, Angle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mhz
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This isn't really coursework or homework, but something I really want to confirm.

There is a ramp of height h on an angle θ that a car is placed on that leads to a wall perpendicular to the ground (looks like this: |∠). When calculating velocity of the car when it hits the wall using E = E', do I need to account for θ?

Every instinct I have says yes, but I want confirmation.


Homework Equations


E = E'


The Attempt at a Solution


E = E'
mgh = 1/2 mv^2

Solve for v .. doesn't really matter what it is.

Is the velocity of the car in a momentum equation (p = mv) equal to v or is it equal to v*cosθ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to take the angle the acceleration parallel to the ramp is a = v'(t)= g sin(theta)

Integrate it to get the result.