Conservation of Energy with Friction

In summary: The block is not sliding until it reaches the end of the frictional surface. At that point, it experiences kinetic friction, which is what slows it down and eventually brings it to a stop.
SpaXe

Homework Statement

A 179 g block is launched by compressing a spring of constant k=200 N/m a distance of 15 cm. The spring is mounted horizontally, and the surface directly under it is frictionless. But beyond the equilibrium position of the spring end, the surface has coefficient of friction [tex]\mu[/tex] = 0.27. This frictional surface extends 85 cm, followed by a frictionless curved rise, as shown in the figure:

Code:
                        |
                       /
|xxxx|[ ]             /
---------=========---/
         ^           ^---- Imagine this as a bottom right quarter of a circle.
         |                     Things go up and slide down with no friction
         |-- Friction
               85 cm

After launch, where does the block finally come to rest? Measure from the left end of the frictional zone.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy:
[tex]KE_i + PE_i + WE_i= KE_f + PE_f + WE_f[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, values:

m = 0.179 kg

k = 200 N/m
x = -0.15 m

[tex]\mu[/tex] = 0.27
[tex]d_{friction}[/tex] = 0.85 m
[tex]F_{normal}[/tex] = mg = 0.179 * 9.8

----

The initial total energy is the spring's potential energy. All other initial energies are zero. So:

[tex]PE_i = 1/2kx^2 = 1/2(200)(0.15) = 2.25 J[/tex]

Then, I proceeded to calculate the energy loss due to friction, by the amount of work done:

[tex]WE_{per slide} = F_{friction} d_{friction} = \mu F_{normal} d_{friction} = 0.27 \times (0.179)(9.8) \times 0.85 = 0.40258 J[/tex]

I found out that, if I divide the first by the second, it takes the 6th slide (back and forth) to actually "stop" the box from sliding, but at this point I'm really lost. The remaining energy might not be enough, for example, to overcome the static friction, and I'm unsure as to how to approach this problem anymore.

Any help would be appreciated. This problem is a bonus problem in one of my assessments, and I don't really need it solved to pass. But I'd really love to know how to solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, never mind me. I solved it with a friend's help. Yay!

If you divide the first by the second, the remainder is 0.237 J. Using that information, I was able to calculate the distance travelled, 50cm. So, subtract that from 85cm, it stopped at 35cm from the left of the frictional surface.

(Work = Force * distance, or 0.237 = Friction Force * distance.)

SpaXe said:
The initial total energy is the spring's potential energy. All other initial energies are zero. So:

[tex]PE_i = 1/2kx^2 = 1/2(200)(0.15) = 2.25 J[/tex]

Then, I proceeded to calculate the energy loss due to friction, by the amount of work done:

[tex]WE_{per slide} = F_{friction} d_{friction} = \mu F_{normal} d_{friction} = 0.27 \times (0.179)(9.8) \times 0.85 = 0.40258 J[/tex]
Good.

I found out that, if I divide the first by the second, it takes the 6th slide (back and forth) to actually "stop" the box from sliding, but at this point I'm really lost. The remaining energy might not be enough, for example, to overcome the static friction, and I'm unsure as to how to approach this problem anymore.
You found that it makes 5 complete trips across the friction patch and one partial trip. Find the length of that partial trip.

You found that it makes 5 complete trips across the friction patch and one partial trip. Find the length of that partial trip.

Thanks! That's exactly what I had to do.

As a side question, though, how does this problem relate to the concept of static friction and dynamic friction?

Static friction doesn't play a role in this problem.

1. What is conservation of energy with friction?

Conservation of energy with friction is a physical law that states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another. In the presence of friction, some of the energy of a system is lost as heat, but the total energy of the system remains constant.

2. How does friction affect the conservation of energy?

Friction dissipates energy in the form of heat, reducing the total amount of usable energy in a system. This means that the total amount of energy in a system with friction will always be less than the total amount of energy in a system without friction.

3. Can friction be beneficial for energy conservation?

Yes, friction can be beneficial for energy conservation in certain situations. For example, friction helps to slow down moving objects, which can be useful in braking systems. Additionally, friction can also help to generate electricity through processes like regenerative braking.

4. How is the concept of work related to conservation of energy with friction?

The concept of work is closely related to conservation of energy with friction. Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, and friction is one of the forces that can do work. As friction converts some of the energy of a system into heat, it also does work to slow down or stop the motion of objects.

5. What are some real-world examples of conservation of energy with friction?

There are numerous real-world examples of conservation of energy with friction. Some common examples include the use of brake pads in cars, the rubbing of hands together to create heat, and the conversion of mechanical energy into thermal energy when rubbing two objects together. Additionally, friction is an important factor in many natural processes, such as erosion and the movement of tectonic plates.