1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy with Metal Spheres

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two small metal spheres with masses 2.0g and 4.0g are tied together by a 5.4-cm-long massless string and are at rest on a frictionless surface. Each is charged to +2.1 μC .

The string is cut. What is the speed of each sphere when they are far apart?

2. Relevant equations
    U = Kq1q2/r
    F = K q1/q2/r^2
    m1v1 = m2v2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not entirely sure how to approach this. I calculated that the energy in the system is .74 J and also the tension in the string is 14 N. How can I use that to my advantage?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    When they are far apart the potential energy -> 0, so they energy of the system that begins entirely as potential must now be all kinetic. This should give you one equation. To get a 2nd you know that momentum is conserved as well.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    So, .74 = 1/2mv^2. I picked the 2g sphere, so v = .86 m/s. This doesn't give me the right answer :(

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    The initial energy is equal to the sum of the kinetic energies of the two spheres at the end. So it should be .73 = .5*m1*v1^2 + .5m2*v2^2. This leaves you with two unknowns (v1 and v2). To get a 2nd equation you can use conservation of momentum.

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    Hmm, it's still not quite right. I have the two equations, .74 = .5*m1*v1^2 + .5m2*v2^2 and 2*v1 = 4*v2. I solved for v1, giving me v1 = 2*v2. Plugging into the first equation I end up with v2 = .35 and v1 = .70.

I understand that all potential energy turns into kinetic energy and that energy is conserved. Am I just using the wrong equation for conservation of energy?

7. Oct 17, 2011 #6
    I get a different answer, maybe check your work? Remember when you plug v1=2v2 into the equation v1^2=4v2^2. Also don't forget mass is in grams.

8. Oct 17, 2011 #7
    Ohh, I forgot to convert grams into kg. Thank you for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook