1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Kenetic Energy: Rotational Style

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    For my physics engine, I have a pretty simple formula to deal with collisions.

Essentially, in a collision, both Momentum and Kinetic Energy have to be conserved. Thus, m1v1 + m2v2 = m1u1 + m2u2 and m1v1^2 + m2v2^2 = m1u1^2 + m2u2^2, and, given m1, m2, v1, and v2, we can solve for u1 and u2 (final velocities of each object) like this:

u1 = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2)v1 + (m2+m2)/(m1+m2)v2
    u2 = (m1+m1)/(m1+m2)v1 + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2)v2

And this all works well and good (I think)

However, I am having trouble doing the same thing for rotation: what's the equivalent formula for rotation? Are there rotational equivalents for mass, velocity, momentum, and kinetic energy, and how can I use a formula similar to the one above to, given rotational momentum, calculate rotational velocities after a collision?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    p=I*w and KE=.5*I*w^2
    where I is the moment of intertia and w is the angular frequency. p should be replaced with L to show that it is angular momentum.

L=m*(r cross v). the moment of inertia is the intergral of the distance (from the axis of rotation) squared over the entire mass

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    in a rotational system you have to replace conservation of momentum with conservation of angular momentum, but conservation of energy still works (you might have to add a potential term, depending on the situation).
    Angular momentum L = mV x R (mass times velocity cross radius), if its circular motion then the cross product turns into simple multiplication L = mVR; keep in mind that the cross product gives you a ang mom vector perpendicular to the velocity and radius (use the right hand rule to get the sign correct + or -)

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    i'm pretty sure its r cross v. point your hand away from the center and curl your fingers couterclockwise for an up moment and clockwise for a down moment.

nate, also notice that angular momentum can be written L=r cross p

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    totally, sorry for the mistake. (also note that RxP = - PxR , which often leads to terms canceling in many-body systems)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?