Conservation of Mechanical Energy and Centripetal Acceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in apparent weight at the top and bottom of a circular vertical loop on a roller coaster, which is 6 g's. The calculations involve conservation of energy and solving for the minimum speed required to make it around the loop. The final result shows that the answer does not depend on the size of the loop or the speed at which the coaster goes through it, as long as the speed is above the minimum needed. There may be some errors in the calculations, but the overall concept is proven.
ctpengage
Show that a roller coaster with a circular vertical loop. The difference in your apparent weight at the top of the circular loop and the bottom of the circular loop is 6 g's-that is, six times your weight. Ignore friction. Show also that as long as your speed is above the minimum needed, this answer doesn't depend on the size of the loop or how fast your go through it.

My working for the first half of the problem, the 6g's part is as follows

Radius if loop is R
Hieght from which it is released is h

The speed at bottom of the loop is determined by the conservation of mechanical energy
1/2 mvbottom2=2mgh

Apparent weight at the bottom of the loop is obtained by the below:

mvBot2= FNorm. Bot.-mg
Therefore apparent weight at bottom is
FNorm. Bot.=mvbot2/R+mg
FNorm. Bot.=2mgh/R+mg (using result obtained via conservation of energy)

To find speed at top of the loop we have from Conservation of Energy
1/2 mvtop2+mg(2R)=mgh
mvtop2=2mg(h-2R)
Therefore using the above the apparent weight at the top of the loop is

mvTop2/R = FNorm. Top.+mg
Therefore Apparent weight is :
FNorm. Top. = (2mg(h-2R))/R - mg

Hence
FNorm. Bot. - FNorm. Top. =
2mgh/R + mg - [((2mg(h-2R))/R - mg)]=
2mgh/R + mg - 2mgh/R + 4mg + mg=
6mg

That's how i proved the first section. Can anyone please tell me how to complete the problem, namely proving that as long as your speed is above the minimum needed, the answer doesn't depend on the size of the loop or how fast your go through it. This part of the problem is relaly bugging me and I've tried heaps of ways but can't come up with a definitive, good answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the minimum speed needed is solved by mg = mv2 / R
Therefore the minimum speed in this instance is the square root of (gr)

But i can't find a way to tie this into the problem and prove the last part

please clarify here :D:D:D

help guyz please. desperate

It looks like you already solved it. You arrived at your final equation without any restrictions on R or V (other than the speed must be sufficient to make it around the loop.)

Incidentally there are a few errors which I assume are typos in what you wrote, starting with your first equation. You should go back over your work.

1. What is conservation of mechanical energy?

Conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another.

2. How is conservation of mechanical energy related to centripetal acceleration?

In a circular motion, the centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle. This acceleration changes the direction of the velocity of an object, but not its magnitude. This means that the total mechanical energy of the object, which includes its kinetic and potential energy, remains constant.

3. What is a common problem involving conservation of mechanical energy and centripetal acceleration?

A common problem would be a ball attached to a string and swung in a circular motion. The question might ask for the speed of the ball at a specific point in the motion, using the conservation of mechanical energy and the centripetal acceleration formula.

4. Can the principle of conservation of mechanical energy be applied to all types of motion?

No, the principle only applies to motion in a closed system where there is no external force acting on the objects. This means that friction and air resistance, which are external forces, can affect the total mechanical energy of an object and make it not conserved.

5. How is conservation of mechanical energy used in real-life applications?

Conservation of mechanical energy is used in many real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides. It is also used in engineering to design efficient machines and in renewable energy systems, such as hydroelectric power plants.