1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of mechanical energy

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two blocks attached by a string (massless) over a pulley (frictionless, massless). Block 2 (which weighs less than block one) is released and the two blocks meet momentarily at the same height. I have the find the speed at which the meet at that moment. The blocks are separated by a distance of 1m.

I have drawn a figure in paint (sorry for this pic): http://i36.tinypic.com/2076at1.png

2. Relevant equations

Emechf = Emechi
    Emech = Ug + K

3. The attempt at a solution

Emechf = Emechi
    <=> (m_1gh + m_2gh) + (1/2m_1v^2 + 1/2m_2v^2) = m_1gH (where H = 1m, and h is the height at which they meet)

But then I have this h which is unkown and I can't figure out.

Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If the lower (and lighter) block starts out at height "h", the higher (heavier) block starts out at height "h + 1".

At what height will they meet? Hint: One block lowers by the same distance that the other rises.
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot, I see it clearly now. I really appreciate you help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?