Conservation of Momentum and KE (bullet through a pop can)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a bullet of mass 0.008 kg and initial speed 300 m/s penetrating a pop can of mass 0.042 kg and emerging with a speed of 210 m/s. The conversation also addresses the initial momentum of the system, the final momentum of the bullet, the speed of the can after the bullet emerges, and the amount of kinetic energy lost in the process. The solution involves using conservation of energy to find the initial and final values, and then subtracting to find the amount of energy dissipated.
CaptainSFS

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 0.008 kg and initial speed 300 m/s penetrates an initially stationary pop can of mass 0.042 kg and emerges with a speed 210 m/s.

What is the initial momentum of the bullet and pop can system?
=2.4 kgm/s

What is the final momentum of the bullet?
=1.68 kgm/s

How fast is the can moving after the bullet emerges?
=17.143 m/s

How much kinetic energy was lost (to heat, sound, deformation of can and bullet,...) in the process? Give your answer as a positive number.
=(i don't know)

Homework Equations

p=mv

KE=.5*m*v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding different values for the initial and final velocity of the system many different ways, and then plugging into the KE equation to get the difference in KE. Every value I find seems to be incorrect.

I took the inital momentum (2.4) and divided it by the total mass of the system (.05) to find the initial v (48). I'm not sure if this is correct or not. I've tried other values, but this is the one I've been most comfortable with, it may very well likely be incorrect.

As for the final velocity, I've found different values, none I'm too confident with.

Any help is much appreciated. Thx. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore the momentum for this part of the question.

You know by conservation of energy, the initial energy in the system must equal final energy (although some will be 'lost' to heat and sound in this question so it will not equal final for the measured amounts).

[tex] \frac{1}{2}m_{b}v_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_cv_2^2 = \frac{1}{2}m_bv_3^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_cv_4^2 [/tex]

Solve for the initial value and then the final value. Subtract final from initial and you will get the amount that dissipiated to heat sound etc.

Hey, thanks. That makes sense, I should have been thinking that simple. It worked out, thanks again. :)

1. What is conservation of momentum and kinetic energy?

Conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are two fundamental principles in physics that state that in a closed system, the total momentum and kinetic energy of objects remains constant, regardless of any internal changes or external forces acting on the system.

2. How does a bullet passing through a pop can demonstrate conservation of momentum and kinetic energy?

When a bullet passes through a pop can, the initial kinetic energy and momentum of the bullet is equal to the final kinetic energy and momentum of the bullet and can combined. This demonstrates conservation of momentum and kinetic energy as the total remains constant, despite the changes within the system.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in a bullet and pop can scenario?

The mass, velocity, and direction of the bullet, as well as the mass and material of the pop can, all play a role in the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. Other external factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the outcome.

4. How is conservation of momentum and kinetic energy important in real-world applications?

Conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are important in various fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. Understanding how these principles work can help in designing efficient systems and predicting outcomes in different scenarios.

5. Can conservation of momentum and kinetic energy be violated?

No, conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are fundamental laws of physics and cannot be violated. However, in some scenarios, it may seem like these principles are not being followed due to external factors or limitations in our measurements and observations.