Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary: Iw, L = Iw, I = MR^2In summary, Person A fires a 20g bullet at 500 m/s at Person B, who is holding a sword with an angular momentum of 2.225 kgm^2 / s. The moment of inertia about the center of mass of the sword is .7082 kgm^2 and the sword is 1 meter long. The collision causes the sword to rotate and move, but leaves the handle stationary. The location of Person B's grip on the sword and the distance from which the center of mass is measured are important factors in determining the initial angular momentum of the bullet with respect to the center of mass of the sword. Without these factors, it
korbus

Homework Statement

Indiana Jones standoff. Person A fires a 20g bullet at 500 m/s at Person B, who is holding a sword. The bullet sticks to the sword. The angular momentum of the sword is 2.225 kgm^2 / s. The moment of inertia about the center of mass of the sword is .7082 kgm^2. The sword is 1 meter long, and the center of mass is located at .5455 m.

Homework Equations

a. What was the initial angular momentum of the bullet as a function of distance from the center of mass of the sword?

The collision causes the sword to rotate and move but leaves the handle stationary.

b. Where did the sword take the bullet?

The Attempt at a Solution

Li = Lf
L = Iw

I(bullet)wi + I(sword)wi = Ifwf

I(bullet)wi + I(sword)wi = wf(I(bullet) + I(sword))

I(bullet)wi + I(sword)wi = wf(MR^2 + I(sword))

I(bullet)wi = wf(MR^2 + I(sword)) / I(sword)wi

... and I'm stuck there. Wouldn't I need to know what the final angular velocity of the system is in order to solve this problem?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem does not make it very clear where on the sword Person B is holding it. This is a rather important point.

The bullet imparts linear momentum to the sword and to Person B holding it. Prior to the collision, the bullet also has angular momentum with respect to the centre of mass of the sword. After the collision that angular momentum may or may not be conserved. It is not clear whether the sword is constrained so it is not possible to give an answer to this question based on the facts provided. It is also not clear from which end the distance to the centre of mass (.5455 m) is measured.

AM

Last edited:

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque.

How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is a measure of an object's rotational motion.

What are some real-world examples of conservation of angular momentum?

A spinning top, a figure skater performing a spin, and a planet orbiting the sun are all examples of conservation of angular momentum in action. In each of these cases, the object maintains a constant angular momentum unless acted upon by an external force.

How does conservation of angular momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum is a consequence of Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain in a state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

Why is conservation of angular momentum important in the study of physics?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that helps explain the behavior of objects in motion. It is also a useful concept in many areas of physics, such as mechanics, astronomy, and quantum mechanics.