1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum in a explosion

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A firecracker, initially at rest, explodes into two fragments. The first, of mass 14g, moves in the positive x direction at 48m/s. The second moves at 32m/s. Find the mass and direction of its motion.

2. Relevant equations
    p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know momentum is conserved in this situation. I set m1v1 equal to m2v2 and found the mass of the second fragment to be .041 kg or 41 grams. I think this goes in the negative x direction because the initial momentum is zero and so the sum of all momentums would have to be zero, but I am not sure.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Correct. In the conservation of momentum, the momentum after the explosion = momentum before the explosion. What is the momentum before the explosion?

Remember that momentum is a vector, which has magnitude and direction. We can have to vectors of the same magnitude, but opposite direction, so the sum is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook