1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum: Pulley System

1. Nov 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block A (of mass MA) rests on a frictionless horizontal table. It is connected via a light string to block B (of mass MB) hanging over the edge of the table. The pulley itself, a solid disc, has non-negligible mass MC. The light string does not slip over the pulley.
    What is the magnitude of the linear acceleration of the system?

Edit: Messed up with the title! This problem is in the chapter of Conservation of Momentum in my book but I actually didn't use it for this problem.
    2. Relevant equations
    Στ=Iα
    α=a/r
    Moment of Inertia of a disk = 1/2mr^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So here's my attempt but I'm not sure where I'm messing up.
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2016 #2
    Your work looks correct .

Why do you think you are messing up somewhere ?

4. Nov 4, 2016 #3
    When I enter my answer into my online hw answer checker, it says it's wrong. I'll have to ask my professor if maybe there's a mistake with his website cause sometimes he messes up!
    Thanks though!

5. Nov 4, 2016 #4
    I don't know where you're messing up. I didn't see anything wrong.

6. Nov 4, 2016 #5
    That is probably what happened. I went through the problem twice and got the same result both times.

Acknowledging @Vibhor who answered before me. I didn't see it until after I posted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted