Conservation of momentum query

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 998 views
volican
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
I have a ball and the wind blows on it. Could I find the initial velocity of the ball from conservation of momentum?

m_air * v_air = m_ball * v_ball

v_ball = (m_air * v_air) / m_ball

What would you put for m_air?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The initial speed?
That can be anything, you cannot calculate it unless you know something about your system.

The final speed? You can find the speed where the ball is in a force equilibrium. The ball will approach this speed over time.
volican said:
Could I find the initial velocity of the ball from conservation of momentum?
No. The air won't all move at the same speed, and you cannot properly keep track of its total momentum.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Electron Spin