Conservation of Noether charge for complex scalar field

It is important to note that the Noether charge, being a constant in time, is a conserved quantity in the system. This is a consequence of the symmetry of the system under time translations, which is reflected in the invariance of the action under these transformations. This means that no matter how the fields evolve in time, the value of the Noether charge will remain the same. This is a powerful tool in understanding the dynamics of the system, as it allows us to track the evolution of conserved quantities and make predictions about the behavior of the system.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Prove that the Noether charge ##Q=\frac{i}{2}\int\ d^{3}x\ (\phi^{*}\pi^{*}-\phi\pi)## for a complex scalar field (governed by the Klein-Gordon action) is a constant in time.

Homework Equations

##\pi=\dot{\phi}^{*}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{dQ}{dt}=\frac{i}{2}\int\ d^{3}x\ \frac{d}{dt}(\phi^{*}\pi^{*}-\phi\pi)##

##=\frac{i}{2}\int\ d^{3}x\ (\dot{\phi}^{*}\pi^{*}+\phi^{*}\dot{\pi}^{*}-\dot{\phi}\pi-\phi\dot{\pi})##

##=\frac{i}{2}\int\ d^{3}x\ (\pi\pi^{*}+\phi^{*}\ddot{\phi}-\pi^{*}\pi-\phi\ddot{\phi}^{*})##

##=\frac{i}{2}\int\ d^{3}x\ (\phi^{*}\ddot{\phi}-\phi\ddot{\phi}^{*})##.

What do I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
This:
failexam said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the Noether charge ##Q=\frac{i}{2}\int\ d^{3}x\ (\phi^{*}\pi^{*}-\phi\pi)## for a complex scalar field (governed by the Klein-Gordon action) is a constant in time.
and the fact that there is no interesting physics at infinity (i.e. the fields and whatnot vanish)

Got it!

Thanks!

1. What is the conservation of Noether charge for complex scalar field?

The conservation of Noether charge for complex scalar field is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of a specific quantity, known as the Noether charge, remains constant over time. This is due to the invariance of the system under certain transformations, known as Noether symmetries.

2. What is the role of Noether charge in conservation laws?

Noether charge plays a crucial role in conservation laws by providing a mathematical framework for understanding the symmetries of a physical system. It allows us to identify which quantities are conserved and why, providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

3. How is Noether charge related to complex scalar fields?

Noether charge is related to complex scalar fields through the Noether current, which is a mathematical quantity that describes the flow of Noether charge in a physical system. Complex scalar fields have specific symmetries that give rise to conserved Noether charges, such as energy and momentum.

4. Can the conservation of Noether charge for complex scalar field be violated?

No, the conservation of Noether charge for complex scalar field is a fundamental principle and cannot be violated. It is a consequence of the symmetries of the system and holds true in all physical situations.

5. Why is the conservation of Noether charge important in physics?

The conservation of Noether charge is important in physics because it allows us to understand the fundamental laws of nature and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new theories and models in physics.