Conserved quantities in mechanics

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of conservation laws in classical dynamics and raises questions about the number and conditions of these laws. It is mentioned that there are 7 separate quantities that are conserved, including energy, angular momentum, and momentum. However, the question of whether there could be more conserved quantities is brought up. It is explained that conservation laws come from invariance of the Lagrangian with each degree of freedom and that additional conserved quantities may exist in certain systems. The topic of closed systems is also mentioned and the importance of considering all conditions in mechanics. Specifically, the conservation of horizontal momentum at the wall face in a closed system is discussed and it is concluded that the wall moves at an infinitesimally
aaaa202
So having been through translation and rotation I can conclude that my book has found 3 conserved quantities in classical dynamics:
Energy
Angular momentum
Momentum
That is 7 separate quantities which are conserved E,Lx,Ly,Lz,px,py,pz
But this question is bothering me: How do we know that there are not more conserved quantities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation laws come from invariance of the Lagrangian with each degree of freedom.
If you can think of another degree of freedom you can have another conservation law.

Is momentum always conserved?

Suppose I direct a hosepipe horizontally at a wall.

Please explain conservation of horizontal momentum at the wall face in this case.

Studiot said:
In closed systems.

Some systems have additional conserved quantities, for example the Kepler problem or harmonic oscillators. But in the general case, you just have those 7 conserved quantities.

@mfb
Yes it is good to specify the conditions.
These were not originally specified and mechanics is not exclusively about closed systems, and should not be taught or thought of as such.

In my career I have seen spectacular failures of mechanical systems due to failure to appreciate this.

Studiot said:

Suppose I direct a hosepipe horizontally at a wall.

Please explain conservation of horizontal momentum at the wall face in this case.
Simple. The (effectively) infinitely massive wall moves at an (effectively) infinitesimally small rate. The product mass*velocity is some finite, non-zero quantity that exactly obeys conservation of momentum.

So where does the perpendicular (to the flow) momentum come from at the wall face?

1. What are conserved quantities in mechanics?

Conserved quantities in mechanics refer to physical properties of a system that remain constant over time, regardless of any changes that may occur within the system. These quantities are fundamental to understanding the behavior of systems in motion and are essential in predicting and analyzing the outcomes of various mechanical processes.

2. Why are conserved quantities important in mechanics?

Conserved quantities are important in mechanics because they provide a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems in motion. They allow us to make accurate predictions about the outcomes of mechanical processes and help us identify any potential errors or discrepancies in our calculations.

3. What are some examples of conserved quantities in mechanics?

Some common examples of conserved quantities in mechanics include energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These quantities are conserved regardless of any external forces or changes that may occur within a system, making them crucial to understanding the overall behavior and dynamics of a system.

4. How are conserved quantities related to the laws of physics?

The concept of conserved quantities is closely linked to the laws of physics, particularly the laws of conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These laws state that these quantities cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed, and this is reflected in the behavior of systems in motion.

5. Can conserved quantities ever change?

Conserved quantities can change in certain circumstances, but this is typically due to external forces or factors that are not accounted for in the system. In ideal, isolated systems, conserved quantities will remain constant. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be some small changes due to external factors such as friction or air resistance.