Consider a long cylindrical dielectric shell of inner cross-sectional

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the electric potential at any point inside a long cylindrical dielectric shell with inner radius a and outer radius b, given that the inner and outer surfaces are held at potentials 0 and V respectively. The charge density inside the shell is zero, so Laplace's equation should be used. This involves solving for the potential using separation of variables and Bessel functions. However, if the charge density is non-zero, Poisson's equation should be used and the Green's function must be found.
queenstudy

Homework Statement

consider a long cylindrical dielectric shell of inner cross-sectional radius a , outer radius b, and constant volume charge density raw zero . THe potenials of the ineer and outer surfaces of the cylindrical shell are held at potentials 0 and V respectively as shown in the adjacent figure.
Solve the appropriate boundary value problem and use the given boundary conditions to find the electric potential at any point inside the shell

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used poissons equation between a and b is that true or should i also do laplaces equation inside a please reply??

Physics news on Phys.org

Poisson's equation is the right tool for there's a non-zero charge density. Laplace's equation assumes there's no charge

i know my friends in the exam solved two equations laplace and poisson i don't know my , but i did only one and got two constants , who do you think is right?? i know that inside the shell is between a and b only right??

Wait, it says that the charge density is zero inside the shell, so you should use laplace. Do separation of variables, obtain your bessel functions etc., and solve for the boundary values.

If it really is poisson you'll have to mess with finding the Green's function that satisfies the potential.

Mindscrape said:
Wait, it says that the charge density is zero inside the shell, so you should use laplace. Do separation of variables, obtain your bessel functions etc., and solve for the boundary values.

If it really is poisson you'll have to mess with finding the Green's function that satisfies the potential.

i meant raw zero is its name with charge density constant called raw zero, so how many equations am i solving one or two
ps: i couldn't find its symbol my friend mindscrape so i am very sorry

1. What is a cylindrical dielectric shell?

A cylindrical dielectric shell is a hollow cylinder made of a material that can store electric charge, called a dielectric material. This shell has an inner cross-sectional shape and an outer surface that can be charged.

2. How does a cylindrical dielectric shell affect electric fields?

A cylindrical dielectric shell can polarize the electric field inside it, meaning that the electric dipoles of the material align with the electric field. This results in a weaker electric field inside the shell compared to outside.

3. What is the purpose of using a cylindrical dielectric shell?

A cylindrical dielectric shell is commonly used as a capacitor in electrical circuits. It helps to increase the capacitance of the system, which is the ability to store electric charge. It also helps to reduce the electric field strength, which can be useful in certain applications.

4. How is the capacitance of a cylindrical dielectric shell calculated?

The capacitance of a cylindrical dielectric shell can be calculated using the equation C = 2πεε0l / ln(b/a), where ε is the dielectric constant of the material, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, l is the length of the shell, and a and b are the inner and outer radii, respectively.

5. Can a cylindrical dielectric shell be used for shielding?

Yes, a cylindrical dielectric shell can be used for shielding since it weakens the electric field inside it. This is useful in situations where the electric field needs to be controlled or reduced, such as in electronic devices.