1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consider the real system of matrix A, determine all solutions.

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the real system:

[tex]
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 2 & 3 & 4\\
    4 & 3 & 2 & 1\\
    -5 & -5 & -5 & -5
    \end{pmatrix}x=\begin{pmatrix}a\\b\\c\end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

and denote the system by matrix A.

1. What is the rank of A? By inspection, determine a non-zero vector in the null space of A-transpose.
    2. Under what conditions on the numbers a, b, c is the system solvable? (Use your solution of part a).
    3. Determine all solutions of the system for a = b = 1, c = -2.

2. Relevant equations

No relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part 1, I reduced to row echelon and got:

[tex]
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0 & -1 & -2\\
    0 & 1 & 2 & 3\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}x=\begin{pmatrix}(-c/5)+b+(4/5)c\\-b-(4/5)c\\a+b+c\end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

I found that rank = 2. I also found that the vector for the null space of A-transpose is:

[tex]
    \begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\1\end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

For part 2, I said that the solution is solvable under the condition that a+b+c = 0 because there is only one row with all zeros.

I am stumped on part 3. I thought that I should just plug a = b = 1, c = -2 into my reduced row echelon, giving me infinitely many solutions. I don't think this is correct though. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you think there should be infinitely many solutions? You have more unknowns than equations, so it wouldn't be surprising if there were some free variables, would it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted