1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consistency-related proof in predicate logic

1. Jun 23, 2006 #1
    Could someone please help me with the proof of the following statement?

Let L be language with n different constants and at least one predicate symbol. Prove that there exist 2 different maximal consistent sets formed of closed formulas of the language L.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know that if S is a consistent set of sentences (closed formulas), then there exists a maximal consistent extention S' of S (S' is an extention of S in the sense that [itex]S' \subseteq S[/itex])? To prove that there exist two different maximal consistent sets, find two consistent sets S and T such that any extention S' of S must be different from any extention T' of T.

4. Jun 29, 2006 #3
    You're right, I think I found it as Lindenbaum's lemma. Anyway, I don't know how to do this:

5. Jun 29, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried? As a hint, it's very very easy. S and T need not be complicated at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?