Consistent Trajectory for a non-zero rest mass particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement involving a trajectory and the question of whether it is "consistent." The asker is unsure of the definition of "consistent" and receives a response about checking the limit of the expression for large values of t. The asker then calculates the limit and realizes that it is inconsistent with the given limit in the original post. However, the asker's assignment requires the trajectory to be consistent.
DeldotB

Homework Statement

Good day all!
Quick question:
As part of a problem statement, I'm asked to verify if the trajectory: [tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{cgt}{\sqrt{1+g^2t^2}} [/tex]
Is "consistent".

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure what "consistent" means. Does it mean, [itex] \frac {dx}{dt} < c [/itex] for all t? If that's so, I run into a problem because in the limit as t approaches infinity, the velocity = the speed of light (the limit goes to c). Am I approaching this the wrong way? (The trajectory is supposed to be "consistent")

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to check the limit of that expression for large ##t##.

PeroK: Not sure what you mean...
I get "c" as the limit. Maybe my work is wrong? [tex]Lim\, \, t\rightarrow \infty (\frac{cgt}{\sqrt{1+(9.8))^2t^2}})=cg(Lim\, \, t\rightarrow \infty (\frac{t}{\sqrt{1+(9.8))^2t^2}}))=cg(5/49)=c[/tex]. So as t approaches infinity, the velocity approaches c.

That's correct, but inconsistent with the limit of ##cg## you gave in the original post!

Ah, I see. A miss-type. Well, nevertheless, this trajectory doesn't seem to be consistent even though my assignment is saying it should be.

1. How is a consistent trajectory defined for a non-zero rest mass particle?

A consistent trajectory for a non-zero rest mass particle is a path that the particle follows in space and time that is consistent with the laws of physics, specifically the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How does the mass of a particle affect its trajectory?

The mass of a particle affects its trajectory by influencing its momentum and energy. Heavier particles have more momentum and require more energy to change direction, thus their trajectories may be less curved compared to lighter particles.

3. What factors can cause a non-zero rest mass particle to deviate from a consistent trajectory?

Several factors can cause a non-zero rest mass particle to deviate from a consistent trajectory, such as external forces, interactions with other particles, and the presence of a strong gravitational field.

4. Can a non-zero rest mass particle change its trajectory without any external influence?

According to the principle of inertia, a non-zero rest mass particle will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, a non-zero rest mass particle cannot change its trajectory without any external influence.

5. How is the concept of a consistent trajectory for a non-zero rest mass particle related to the theory of relativity?

The concept of a consistent trajectory for a non-zero rest mass particle is related to the theory of relativity through the principle of equivalence. This principle states that the effects of gravity and acceleration are equivalent, meaning that a particle's trajectory can be affected by both gravity and acceleration in the same way. This is important in understanding how particles with mass move in space under different conditions.