1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Acceleration Car PRoblem

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You're driving at 70 km/h when you accelerate with constant acceleration to pass another car. Six seconds later, you're doing 80 km/h.

How far did you go in this time?
    Express your answer using two significant figures.

2. Relevant equations
    V= V(0)+at
    V^2- V(0)^2 = 2a ( X-X(0) )

3. The attempt at a solution

I keep finding some large numbers like 125000 m. I think i'm doing something wrong with converting times. So can someone tell me how to do this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 15, 2007 #3
    you kinda confused me.

That's what i did. I found the acceleration from the first equation. V=V(0)+at. I mean we know V=80km/h, V(0)= 70km/h, and t=6. Only thing left is a, right?. If i plug the acceleration i found with this in second equation. The answer isn't correct.

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

Astronuc

make sure one does not mix hours and seconds in the acceleration.

The v is given in km/h and the time in seconds.

One could certainly write the acceleration in km/h/s, but then when using v2 one would have units of (km/h)2.

I recommend converting km/h to m/s first.

It is better to show the work and make sure units are consistent.

6. Oct 15, 2007 #5
    Ok, here is a weird thing.

The site you gave me. I found the average velocity. Then that times with 6s gave me the displacement. which is the answer.

But the thing is i can't find the answer with those equations. It's basically the same thing. Still can't find it.

7. Oct 15, 2007 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you did is right, but you should watch the units. I repeated your calculation but put in the units...
    For example (6 seconds = 60/10 seconds = 1/10 hour):
    [tex]a = \frac{V - V_0}{t} = \frac{10\text{ km/h}}{1/10\text{ h}} = 100 \text{ km/h}^2.[/tex]

Then from the second equation,
    [tex]d \equiv (X - X_0) = \frac{ V^2 - V_0^2 }{ 2 a } = \frac{ \left( 80^2 - 70^2 \right) (\text{ km/h})^2 }{ 2 \times 100 \text{ km/h}^2 } = \frac{1500}{200} \frac{\text{km}^2 /\text{h}^2 }{ \text{km} / \text{h}^2 } = \frac{15}{2} \text{ km}, [/tex]
    which IMO is still a lot (are the formulas right, did I make any calculation errors?) but better than 125 km :smile:

See how it works? Alternatively, you could have converted everything to m and s.

8. Oct 15, 2007 #7
    Yeah, your answer is correct too.

Only thing i did wrong was converting units. Everytime i did this problem, I'd have numerator and denominator in different units for the first equation.

Thanks both.

9. Oct 15, 2007 #8

Astronuc

6 sec = 0.1 minute = 0.1/60 h or 6/3600 h = 0.00167 h ( 1 sec = 1/60 min = 1/3600 hr)

The delta-V = 80 km/h - 70 km/h = 10 km/h = 10000m/3600s = 2.78 m/s

dV/dt = 2.78 m/s / 6 s = 0.463 m/s2

or

10 km/h/ (0.00167 h) = 5988 km/h2

So one has to be careful with units.

10. Oct 15, 2007 #9

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hehe, of course!
    I thought there was a mistake somewhere.
    Seven kilometers in 6 seconds seemed like a bit much :smile:
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?