COnstant acceleration - stone in a well

In summary, the stone drops into the well 3.5 seconds after being let go, and the sound travels out of the well at 340m/s for 3.5 seconds.
mstud

Homework Statement

You drop a stone down into a well to find the depth of the well. You hear the sound of the splash 3.5 s after you let the stone go.

Homework Equations

[tex]s(displacement)=v_0t \cdot \frac 12 at^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have
[itex]t_{total}=3.5 s[/itex]

Stone: [itex]v_0[/itex]=0, and a=9.81 m/s^2.

Sound: v=340 m/s, a=0.

If the sound had not used a small part of the total time, the answer would have been:

[tex]s(displacement)=v_0t \cdot \frac 12 at^2=0*3.5 s + \frac 12 * 9.81 m/s^2*(3.5s)^2=60 m[/tex]

But the answer key of my book says 55 m. I see why, but I don't know how I can get that answer... Please help, anybody out there!

Physics news on Phys.org
basically in this question there is 3 unknowns and 3 constraints

3 unknowns
- time for rock to reach bottom of well
- time for sound to travel out of the well
- depth of well

3 constrants
- time takes to reach the bottom of the well and depth of the well is related to the equation you used
- time taken for sound to travel out of the well follows a simple s = vt relationship
- total time is 3.5s

can you see how to solve this now?

Hmmm, not quite sure. Depth of well, s, is the same both when the stone and the sound travels it.

Sound: [itex]s(displacement)= vt = 340m/s *t_{sound}[/itex]

Stone:

[tex]s(displacement)=v_0t\cdot \frac 12 at^2=0∗(3.5s-t_{sound}) +\frac 12 ∗ 9.81m/s^2 ∗ (3.5s-t_{sound})^2=0+12∗9.81m/s^2∗(3.5s-t_{sound})^2=12∗9.81m/s^2∗(3.5s-t_{sound})^2[/tex].

I can relate these two equations to each other: [itex]340m/s *t_{sound}=12∗9.81m/s^2∗(3.5s-t_{sound})^2[/itex] and solve this equation for [itex]t_{sound}[/itex]. Am I on the right track now?

looks like you are :)

That was right :)

Thanks a lot !

glad to help :biggrin:

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, while maintaining a consistent amount of change each second.

How does constant acceleration affect a stone in a well?

If a stone is dropped into a well, it will experience constant acceleration due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground. This means that its velocity will increase by 9.8 meters per second squared each second.

How can we calculate the position of a stone in a well at any given time?

To calculate the position of a stone in a well at any given time, we can use the equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the constant acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in a stone in a well?

Velocity and acceleration are directly related in a stone in a well. As the stone falls towards the ground, its velocity increases due to constant acceleration. Conversely, as it moves upwards, its velocity decreases due to the opposing force of gravity.

Can the constant acceleration of a stone in a well change?

The constant acceleration of a stone in a well will only change if the magnitude or direction of the force acting on it changes. For example, if a strong wind blows against the stone, its acceleration will be affected and may not be constant. However, in the case of a stone dropped into a well, the acceleration due to gravity will remain constant unless another force is introduced.