1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COnstant acceleration - stone in a well

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You drop a stone down into a well to find the depth of the well. You hear the sound of the splash 3.5 s after you let the stone go.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]s(displacement)=v_0t \cdot \frac 12 at^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have
    [itex]t_{total}=3.5 s[/itex]

Stone: [itex]v_0[/itex]=0, and a=9.81 m/s^2.

Sound: v=340 m/s, a=0.

If the sound had not used a small part of the total time, the answer would have been:

[tex]s(displacement)=v_0t \cdot \frac 12 at^2=0*3.5 s + \frac 12 * 9.81 m/s^2*(3.5s)^2=60 m[/tex]

But the answer key of my book says 55 m. I see why, but I don't know how I can get that answer... Please help, anybody out there!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

basically in this question there is 3 unknowns and 3 constraints

3 unknowns
    - time for rock to reach bottom of well
    - time for sound to travel out of the well
    - depth of well

3 constrants
    - time takes to reach the bottom of the well and depth of the well is related to the equation you used
    - time taken for sound to travel out of the well follows a simple s = vt relationship
    - total time is 3.5s

can you see how to solve this now?

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3
    Hmmm, not quite sure. Depth of well, s, is the same both when the stone and the sound travels it.

Sound: [itex]s(displacement)= vt = 340m/s *t_{sound}[/itex]

Stone:

[tex]s(displacement)=v_0t\cdot \frac 12 at^2=0∗(3.5s-t_{sound}) +\frac 12 ∗ 9.81m/s^2 ∗ (3.5s-t_{sound})^2=0+12∗9.81m/s^2∗(3.5s-t_{sound})^2=12∗9.81m/s^2∗(3.5s-t_{sound})^2[/tex].

I can relate these two equations to each other: [itex]340m/s *t_{sound}=12∗9.81m/s^2∗(3.5s-t_{sound})^2[/itex] and solve this equation for [itex]t_{sound}[/itex]. Am I on the right track now?

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

wukunlin

Gold Member

looks like you are :)

6. Sep 9, 2011 #5
    That was right :)

Thanks a lot !!!

7. Sep 9, 2011 #6

wukunlin

Gold Member

glad to help :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook