1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Angular Velocity Problem

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I encountered the following problem and I don't know where to begin or what formula to use... An object is moving in a circular path with a radius of 4.00 m. If the object moves through an arc length of 3.16m, then find the angular displacement?

2. Relevant equations
    I wish I knew.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Any help would be great thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

What is the circumference of a circle with radius 4?

And what percentage of the circumference does 3.16 represent?

That percentage of 360° then ...

4. Apr 30, 2009 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just look up (then study) the relationship between arc length (s), radius (r) and angular displacement (theta). Note that theta is in radians. If you have no textbook, try Google.

5. May 2, 2009 #4
    so I got the following figured out, circumerence is 25.13

to find the percentage of the circumference that 3.16 represents should I take 3.16/25.13? If so that number is .126, than what should I do with figuring out the percentage of 360°?

6. May 2, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What you determined is the fraction of the circumference. Since there are 360 degrees in a full circle or alternatively there are 2*π radians in a circle ...

If you want degrees, then multiply by 360.

If you want it in radians, there are 2*π (2*3.1415), then multiply .126*6.283.

7. May 2, 2009 #6
    thanks thats what I needed to figure it out! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook