1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant damping force on springsystem

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    If we consider a block of mass m attached to a spring, where the system oscillates on a table with friction f, the friction force f on the block would depend on the direction of the velocity, as

[tex] m\ddot{x} = \begin{cases} -kx+f & \text{if } \dot{x}<0\\ -kx-f & \text{if } \dot{x} > 0 \end{cases}[/tex]

If I just look at one equation at a time and solve them both separatly first, I get equations where the amplitude doesn't drop with time. But that should be the case (energy in that closed system isn't conserved). So how can I solve this system?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The direction of [itex] \text{f} [/itex] changes abruptly every time the velocity canges direction. You solve this by solving x(t) for every time interval that has constant [itex] \text{f} [/itex] separately. Solving for each half period separately may appear to give no change in amplitude, as if the mass were hanging on a spring in the presence of gravity, but in fact you are being fooled into thinking that is the case. The change in direction of [itex] \text{f} [/itex] every time the velocity chages direction is going to reduce the amplitude. You can find out the magnitude of this effect from energy considerations, or you can think about what a constant applied force does to the equilibrium position of the oscillator.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?