Constant speed and acceleration.

In summary, an object can have acceleration and move with constant speed if it is moving along a curved path. Acceleration is a change in velocity, which can be a change in speed or direction. This means that an object can reach the end of a path faster if it has a higher acceleration, regardless of its speed. In the example given, the object moving along a curved path will reach the end faster because it is constantly changing direction, thus having a higher acceleration.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
As we know that an object can move with constant speed and accelerate this can be expressed with an object moving along a curved path with constant speed ,hence it has an acceleration ...
my question is how an object can have an acceleration and at the same time is moving with constant speed ?
As I know that acceleration means that an object will reach the end faster than an object moving with constant velocity, let us assume that two objects are moving in the same path with the same distance but one in a straight line and the second in a curved line Will the first object reach the end of the path faster ??

Physics news on Phys.org
alyafey22 said:
As I know that acceleration means that an object will reach the end faster than an object moving with constant velocity
This is not true in general.

I think you can answer your own question if you remember that speed is a scalar quantity: distance traveled per second (in any direction) whilst Velocity is a vector quantity and the direction is also involved. You can go very fast in a loop and your average velocity can be zero. etc etc.

Acceleration is a change in velocity. Velocity is a vector, so you change either the speed which is the magnitude of the vector, or you change the direction. An object in a circular orbit for example is accelerating because it is always changing direction even though it's linear speed is constant.

As I know that acceleration means that an object will reach the end faster than an object moving with constant velocity, let us assume that two objects are moving in the same path with the same distance but one in a straight line and the second in a curved line Will the first object reach the end of the path faster ??

If one is following a curved path then it cannot be in the same path as the other object.

1. What is the difference between constant speed and constant acceleration?

Constant speed refers to an object moving at a steady rate without changing its velocity. Constant acceleration, on the other hand, is when an object's velocity changes at a constant rate over time.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. Can an object have both constant speed and constant acceleration?

No, an object cannot have both constant speed and constant acceleration at the same time. It can have either one or the other, but not both simultaneously.

4. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration?

The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

5. How does air resistance affect an object's acceleration?

Air resistance can act as a force opposing the motion of an object, which can cause a decrease in acceleration. However, the effect of air resistance depends on the object's shape, speed, and density of the surrounding air.