1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant that makes g(x) continous over (-inf,inf)

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the C (constant) that makes the function g(x) continuous over all real numbers.

2. Relevant equations

g(x) = x^2 - c^2 | if x < 4

= cx + 20 | if x >= 4

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the function is composed of a quadratic and a polynomial they are continuous over all real numbers. Thus, the only possible point of discontinuity lies at x = 4.

lim g(x) as x -> 4 = 4c + 20

I need to make the limit of g(x) as x -> 4 from the left equal to the above limit.

So logically I need to solve for c

c4 + 20 = 4^2 + c^2

Assuming I've thought this through correctly up until this point...I guess I just can't solve the equation. Do I need to use the quadratic formula?

Thanks Guys,

Jeff
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2
    Quadratic formula sounds like a good place to start.

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, I believe that thinking rather than the quadratic formula is a good place to start! Go back and check your equations. You should not have 4c+ 20= 42+ c! You've dropped a sign.

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4
    Well, yeah, thinking is always good, but he *thought* he should try the quadratic formula and I think he's right in the sense that it will give him the correct answer.

6. Feb 14, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would be better to think the correct equation first!

My real point was that if he had the right equation, it would be trivial to factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?