1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constituent traveling waves and strings and vibrations

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 30-cm long string, with one end clamped and the other free to move transversely, is vibrating in its second harmonic. The wavelength of the constituent traveling waves is:
    A) 10 cm
    B) 30 cm
    C) 40 cm
    D) 60 cm
    E) 120 cm

2. Relevant equations

[tex]L = n(\frac{1}{4}\lambda)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First, what I tried was this:
    [tex].30 = 2(\frac{1}{4}\lambda)[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda = .60[/tex]

The answer, however, was C) 40 cm.

So, when I changed 2 to 3, like this:

[tex].30 = 3(\frac{1}{4}\lambda)[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda = .40[/tex]

I got the correct answer.

So, does the constituent traveling wave mean the wave with the next harmonic number? Somehow, I don't think that is correct. Constituent means 'component' and such.

I don't understand the concept behind this, why do you use the harmonic number of 3?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like by "harmonics", they mean only the allowed vibration modes and not simply multiples of the lowest-frequency mode.

You might try drawing a sketch of the "modes" or shapes of the string for n=1, 2, and 3. See if it makes sense that the n=2 case is not valid, given the condition of 1 fixed + 1 free end.

4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    Ah I see, since it's clamped at one end it can only have odd number harmonics correct? So the second harmonic they would mean n=3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?