1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constraint of moment about an axis

1. Jan 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    why there is no constraint of plate about a axis ?
    for moment about z -axis , i can have -2Bx +3By = 0 , where By and Bx = 0 which is shown in the top part of solution....

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 7988.png
      7988.png
      File size:
      202.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand your question. None of the forces acting on the plate have a moment about the z axis through B.
    If you take moments about the z axis through other points, Bx and By could have moment, but as demonstrated both those forces are zero.
    Can you clarify your question?

4. Jan 8, 2016 #3
    an why there is no restriction about moment about Z ? i think there is also restriction of moment about Z because i can form the equation -2Bx +3By = 0 , so it can prevent the object from rotating about the z axis ....

5. Jan 8, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but it doesn't tell you anything extra. Bx and By are both known to be zero, so that reduces to 0=0.

6. Jan 8, 2016 #5
    So, if there is the moment restriction about an axis, the force which causes the moment must be non zero value? I.e. There must be at least a counterclockwise and clockwise moment to prevent rotation, so that it can restrict the moment about an axis?

7. Jan 8, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what you mean by a moment 'restriction'. Do you mean some physical connection which prevents rotation? Or do you mean a sum of forces law? In a static arrangement, the moments must balance. That can be achieved just as well by there being no nonzero moments as by there being nonzero moments which cancel.

8. Jan 9, 2016 #7
    As we can see in the question , for moment about x and y =0 , the moment is restricted about x and y axis.... Why not the moment is restricted about the z axis? Since we can form the equation
    -2BX +3BY=0

9. Jan 9, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As the text says, if you were to add a force, no matter how small, that had a moment about the z axis through B then the plate would turn. There is no other force that has moment about that axis, so there would be nothing to oppose the additional force.
    The Bx and By forces would not have a moment about that axis even if those forces were nonzero.

10. Jan 9, 2016 #9
    why ? they have some distance (r) from the z axis , right ?

11. Jan 9, 2016 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When you say "z axis", you mean the axis in the z direction that passes through point B, right? How can a force that also passes through that axis be at a nonzero distance from it?

12. Jan 9, 2016 #11
    no , i mean z a-xis , not Bz axis

13. Jan 9, 2016 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, ok.
    I think the author meant the z' axis, i.e. the vertical axis through B. But she might have been using "rotation about the z axis" in a generic sense, i.e. any rotation in the xy plane.

14. Jan 9, 2016 #13
    if the plane cant rotate in Bz axis , it cant rotate as well as in z -axis?

15. Jan 10, 2016 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think the author means that if there were a torque added perpendicular to the XY plane then there would be a rotation in that plane. This is true, and specifically, it would be a rotation about the z' (i.e. Bz) axis. It cannot rotate about any other z-direction axis because of the ball-and-socket joint at B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted