Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constraints in Hamilton's equations

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    My question is about the constraints in Hamiltonian viewpoint. I mean, where the constraints are put into the Hamilton's equations. Constraints are usually studied in Lagrange's equations in text books (such as Jose and Goldstein). However, I couldn't find anything about constraints in Hamiltonian viewpoint.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

When you are constructing L, you do it in terms of generalised co-ordinates, which are the least number of free co-ordinates. The constraints have already been taken into account when constructing L by eliminating some degrees of freedom. When you are using Hamilton’s principle, you are making integral Ldt stationary, and, so here too, the constraints have been taken into account.

For non-holonomic constraints, the treatment may be somewhat different, but the essence is the same.

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    Dear Shooting star,
    Thanks for writing. But I'm looking for some techniqe jist similar to one we use in Lagrangian viewpoint as undetermined constants and the way we treat with constraint equations there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?