H-Theorem and Lagrange multipliers

In summary: I am so sorry again, when you mean Galilei boost, where exactly am I supposed to apply galilean transformation? I am really sorry If I come accross as a bit naiveIn summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Sackur-Tetrode formula for entropy in an ideal gas using the H-theorem. The formula is derived by defining the entropy relative to "full information" and making the argument of the natural logarithm dimensionless. The discussion also mentions the use of Galilei boosts to obtain the coefficients for the distribution function in a moving frame. The conversation ends with a clarification on the relation between temperature and the total energy in the rest frame of the medium.
VVS2000
so I was studying H theorem from Richard Fitzpartic's site.
https://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/plasma/Plasma/node35.html
Given H,
1685429689282.png

they consider the following equation
1685429565881.png

and set the constants as
1685429734314.png

I want to understand how they got these particular values for a, b &c
can we consider the following as constraints and a b c as lagrange multipliers and solve for them?
1685429864825.png

or if there are any other ways to obtain a b c plz do tell
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It's obviously for an ideal gas, for which we know the phase-space-distribution function exactly (let's take a monatomic gas for simplicity):
$$f=\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \exp[-(\vec{p}^2-\mu)/(2m kT)].$$
Now comes the subtle point! To define the entropy (or the neg-entropy) you need to define it relative to "full information", and you have to make the argument of the ln dimensionless. What is "full information"? According to quantum theory it's that the phase-space volume the particle is contained in is determined by the uncertainty relation of position and momentum, i.e., in a volume of ##(2 \pi \hbar)^3##. So the entropy is
$$S=-H=-V \int \mathrm{d}^3 p f(p) [\ln[f/(2 \pi \hbar)^3]-1]-V k \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \exp[-(\vec{p}^2-\mu)/(2m kT)] \frac{\vec{p}^2-\mu}{2m k T}=n V \left (\frac{3 k}{2}-\frac{\mu}{T} \right)$$
with
$$n=\frac{N}{V}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 p f(\vec{p})=(\frac{V (k m T)^{3/2}}{2 \sqrt{2 \pi^3} \hbar^3} \exp[\mu/(k T)].$$
Using this to eliminate ##\mu/T## in the formula for ##S##, leads to
$$S=n V \left [\frac{5 k}{2} - k \ln \left (\frac{2 \sqrt{2 \pi^3 n} \hbar^3}{(m k T)^{3/2}} \right ) \right],$$
which is the Sackur-Tetrode formula,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackur–Tetrode_equation

as can be derived by using ##U=3 N k T/2=3 n V kT/2##.

Likes dextercioby and VVS2000
vanhees71 said:
It's obviously for an ideal gas, for which we know the phase-space-distribution function exactly (let's take a monatomic gas for simplicity):
$$f=\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \exp[-(\vec{p}^2-\mu)/(2m kT)].$$
Now comes the subtle point! To define the entropy (or the neg-entropy) you need to define it relative to "full information", and you have to make the argument of the ln dimensionless. What is "full information"? According to quantum theory it's that the phase-space volume the particle is contained in is determined by the uncertainty relation of position and momentum, i.e., in a volume of ##(2 \pi \hbar)^3##. So the entropy is
$$S=-H=-V \int \mathrm{d}^3 p f(p) [\ln[f/(2 \pi \hbar)^3]-1]-V k \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \exp[-(\vec{p}^2-\mu)/(2m kT)] \frac{\vec{p}^2-\mu}{2m k T}=n V \left (\frac{3 k}{2}-\frac{\mu}{T} \right)$$
with
$$n=\frac{N}{V}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 p f(\vec{p})=(\frac{V (k m T)^{3/2}}{2 \sqrt{2 \pi^3} \hbar^3} \exp[\mu/(k T)].$$
Using this to eliminate ##\mu/T## in the formula for ##S##, leads to
$$S=n V \left [\frac{5 k}{2} - k \ln \left (\frac{2 \sqrt{2 \pi^3 n} \hbar^3}{(m k T)^{3/2}} \right ) \right],$$
which is the Sackur-Tetrode formula,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackur–Tetrode_equation

as can be derived by using ##U=3 N k T/2=3 n V kT/2##.
OK I get what you're trying to say but I am not seeing how this is related to my question

After correcting the formula for ##H=-S## you get what I wrote. Now you can Galilei-boost this to an arbitrary inertial frame, where the gas moves with a velocity ##\vec{V}## to get the coefficients you look for.

Likes dextercioby and VVS2000
vanhees71 said:
After correcting the formula for ##H=-S## you get what I wrote. Now you can Galilei-boost this to an arbitrary inertial frame, where the gas moves with a velocity ##\vec{V}## to get the coefficients you look for.
I am so sorry again, when you mean Galilei boost, where exactly am I supposed to apply galilean transformation? I am really sorry If I come accross as a bit naive
I am just not able to see it

The Galilei boost for ##V## obviously is ##V'=V## and ##\vec{p}'=\vec{p}-m\vec{v}##. From this you get
$$f(\vec{p})=f(\vec{p}'+m \vec{v}).$$
Use this in the formula for ##S##. You don't need to calculate more integrals, because they are all calculated for ##\vec{v}=0##.

Likes VVS2000
After some PM discussion, I think, I misunderstood the question. Of course, it's also clear that ##S## is a Galilei invariant. So here's my answer to what I believe is the original question:
Obviously I misunderstood your question. Your idea in #1 is correct. The distribution function derived from the H-theorem is that of local thermal equilibrium. It's the distribution function for an ideal gas with center-of-mass velocity ##\vec{v}##, which you get from the standard Boltzmann distribution by a Galilei boost. For the gas at rest it's

$$f'(\vec{p}')=\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \exp \left [-\frac{1}{kT} \left (\frac{\vec{p}^{\prime 2}}{2m}-\mu \right )\right].$$

In the frame, where the gas moves with velocity ##\vec{v}## you have

$$\vec{p}=\vec{p}'+m \vec{v}.$$

The distribution function is a scalar under Galilei boosts, i.e., you have

$$f(\vec{p})=f'(\vec{p}')=f'(\vec{p}-m \vec{v})= \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \exp \left [-\frac{1}{kT} \left (\frac{(\vec{p}-m\vec{v})^2}{2m}-\mu \right )\right].$$

It's easy to calculate the expectation values for the total particle number, the total momentum, and the total energy in this frame, and this gives you indeed the Lagrange parameters ##a_i##, ##\vec{b}##, and ##c##.
For the latter, note that temperature is related to the total energy in the (local) rest frame of the medium, i.e., to

$$E'=V \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d^3 p} \frac{\vec{p}^{\prime 2}}{2m} f'(\vec{p}')=\frac{3}{2} N k T,$$

where the particle number is given by

$$N=V \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d^3 p'} f'(\vec{p}')=V \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d^3 p} f(\vec{p}) = \left (\frac{mkT}{2} \right)^{3/2} \frac{V}{\hbar^3} \exp \left (\frac{\mu}{kT} \right)=nV.$$

For the total momentum you get

$$\vec{P}=V \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 p \vec{p} f(\vec{p}) = V \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 p' (\vec{p}'+m \vec{v}) f'(\vec{p}') = N m \vec{v},$$

where I've used that in the rest frame the total momentum vanishes.

Likes VVS2000
VVS2000 said:
so I was studying H theorem from Richard Fitzpartic's site.
https://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/plasma/Plasma/node35.html

I want to understand how they got these particular values for a, b &c
The distribution function ##f_i## is assumed to be of the form $$\ln f_i = a_i + m_i \mathbf{b}\cdot \mathbf{v}_i + m_i c v_i^2$$ where ##a_i, \mathbf{b},## and ##c## are constants.

Then the constants ##n_i, \mathbf{V},## and ##T## are defined in the link in terms of the constants ##a_i, \mathbf{b},## and ##c## by the equations
$$\begin{align*}
a_i & = \ln\left[n_i \left(\frac{m_i}{2 \pi T}\right)^{3/2}\right] - \frac{m_i V^2}{2T} \\
b & = \frac{1}{T}\mathbf{V}\\
c & = -\frac{1}{2T}
\end{align*}$$ At this point, the physical meaning of the constants ##n_i, \mathbf{V},## and ##T## is not evident.

You can then show that the distribution function in terms of these constants takes the Maxwell-Boltzmann form $$f_i = n_i \left(\frac{m_i}{2 \pi T} \right)^{3/2} \exp\left[- \frac{m_i(\mathbf{v}_i - \mathbf{V})^2}{2T} \right]$$
Using this form of ##f_i##, you find by straightforward integration that
$$\begin{align*}
n_i & = \int f_i \, d^3\mathbf{v}_i \\
n_i \mathbf{V} & = \int \mathbf{v}_i \, f_i \, d^3\mathbf{v}_i\\
\frac 3 2 n_i T & = \int \frac 1 2 m_i \, v_i^2 \, f_i \, d^3\mathbf{v}_i - n_i \frac 1 2 m_i V^2
\end{align*}$$

Note that the last equation here differs from equation (3.55) in the link where the last term is not included. I believe (3.55) in the link is incorrect.

These equations show the physical meaning of the constants ##n_i, \mathbf{V}, ## and ##T##.

Of course, the student could be left scratching her head wondering how anyone would know ahead of time to define the constant ##n_i## by the strange-looking equation ##a_i = \ln\left[n_i \left(\frac{m_i}{2 \pi T}\right)^{3/2}\right] - \frac{m_i V^2}{2T}##.
---------------------------------------

Another way to develop this is to define the constants ##n_i, \mathbf{V},## and ##T## by the physically meaningful equations
$$\begin{align*}
\frac 3 2 n_i T & = \int \frac 1 2 m_i \, v^2 \, f_i \, d^3\mathbf{v}_i - n_i \frac 1 2 m_i V^2
\end{align*}$$ where ##f_i## is the distribution function defined in terms of the constants ##a_i, \mathbf{b},## and ##c## : $$\ln f_i = a_i + m_i \mathbf{b}\cdot \mathbf{v}_i + m_i c v_i^2$$ That is, $$f_i = \exp[ a_i + m_i \mathbf{b}\cdot \mathbf{v}_i + m_i c v_i^2]. $$ Then you can derive the equations
$$\begin{align*}
a_i & = \ln\left[n_i \left(\frac{m_i}{2 \pi T}\right)^{3/2}\right] - \frac{m_i V^2}{2T} \\
c & = -\frac{1}{2T}
\end{align*}$$ by carrying out the integrations in
$$\begin{align*}
\frac 3 2 n_i T & = \int \frac 1 2 m_i \, v^2 \, f_i \, d^3\mathbf{v}_i - n_i \frac 1 2 m_i V^2
\end{align*}$$
For example, with ##f_i = \exp[ a_i + m_i \mathbf{b}\cdot \mathbf{v}_i + m_i c v_i^2] ##, you can show that $$\begin{align*}
\int f_i \, d^3 \mathbf{v}_i & = \left(\frac{\pi}{m_i|c|} \right)^{3/2} \exp\left[ a_i + \frac{m_ib^2}{4|c|} \right] \\
\int \mathbf{v}_i \, f_i \, d^3 \mathbf{v}_i & = n_i \frac{\mathbf{b}}{2|c|} \\
\int v_i^2 \, f_i \, d^3 \mathbf{v}_i & = n_i \left( \frac{3}{2 m_i |c|} + \frac{b^2}{4c^2} \right)
\end{align*}$$ Using these in the defining relations
$$\begin{align*}
\end{align*}$$ gives three equations that can be used to derive
$$\begin{align*}
c & = -\frac{1}{2T}
\end{align*}$$
This approach is fairly tedious. But it has the advantage of not having to pull the equation ##a_i = \ln\left[n_i \left(\frac{m_i}{2 \pi T}\right)^{3/2}\right] - \frac{m_i V^2}{2T}## out of thin air.

Likes vanhees71, VVS2000 and dextercioby

1. What is the H-Theorem?

The H-Theorem, also known as the H-Function, is a mathematical concept in thermodynamics that describes the irreversible increase in entropy over time in a closed system. It was first proposed by Rudolf Clausius in 1865 and is a fundamental principle in the study of thermodynamics.

2. How is the H-Theorem related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The H-Theorem is closely related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The H-Theorem provides a mathematical explanation for this phenomenon by showing that the probability of a system moving towards a state of higher entropy is much greater than the probability of it moving towards a state of lower entropy.

3. What are Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are mathematical tools used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. They are named after Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who first introduced them in the late 18th century. In the context of the H-Theorem, Lagrange multipliers are used to find the maximum value of the H-Function subject to certain constraints.

4. How are Lagrange multipliers used in the H-Theorem?

In the H-Theorem, Lagrange multipliers are used to find the maximum value of the H-Function subject to the constraints of energy and particle conservation. This allows for the calculation of the equilibrium state of a closed system, where the H-Function reaches its maximum value. This equilibrium state is characterized by the irreversible increase in entropy over time.

5. What are the practical applications of the H-Theorem and Lagrange multipliers?

The H-Theorem and Lagrange multipliers have many practical applications, particularly in the fields of thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and economics. They are used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems and can be applied to various real-world problems, such as predicting the flow of heat in a system or optimizing production processes in industries.