Construct a complex function with these properties

In summary, The function f satisfies the following conditions: -f(xy) = f(x)f(y)-f(x) = f(1x) = f(1)f(x)-f(i)^2 = f(i)^2=f(-1)=-1
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

Construct a function [itex]f:C \rightarrow C[/itex] such that [itex]f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) and f(xy)=f(x)f(y)[/itex] (aside from the identity function) Hint: [itex]i^2=-1[/itex] what are the possible values of [itex]f(i)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've been able to do so far is come up with some (hopefully correct) examples e.g.
[itex]f(i^2)=f(-1)=f=((1,0)*(-1,0))=f(-1)f(1)[/itex]

[itex]f(a+bi)=f((a,0)+(0,b))=f(a)+f(bi)[/itex]

[itex]f(ai)=f((a,0)*(0,1))=f(a,0)f(0,1)=f(a)f(i)[/itex] (a is real)

But I'm not sure how to construct an explicit function out of this (I'm assuming f(x)=0 would be a 'trivial' construction?)

Physics news on Phys.org
You only need to find a function - so try a few simple non-trivial functions and see how they behave.

i.e. f(x)=x ... what happens?
hint: make x and y general complex numbers so x=a+ib, y=c+id.

you basically need to play around until you notice a pattern, then exploit the pattern.
enjoy.

chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

Construct a function [itex]f:C \rightarrow C[/itex] such that [itex]f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) and f(xy)=f(x)f(y)[/itex] (aside from the identity function) Hint: [itex]i^2=-1[/itex] what are the possible values of [itex]f(i)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've been able to do so far is come up with some (hopefully correct) examples e.g.
[itex]f(i^2)=f(-1)=f=((1,0)*(-1,0))=f(-1)f(1)[/itex]

I think the point is that [itex]f(i)^2 = f(i^2) = f(-1)[/itex].

The condition [itex]f(xy) = f(x)f(y)[/itex] requires that
[tex]
f(x) = f(1x) = f(1)f(x)
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
f(x)(1 - f(1)) = 0
[/tex]
for all [itex]x[/itex]. From this one can find [itex]f(0)[/itex], and then [itex]f(-1) = f(0) - f(1)[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
another interesting question, is what are all possible functions that satisfy these requirements. But as Simon says, for this problem you just need to find one. I'd also agree with Simon, to just play around for a while longer. For example, you already have f(-1) = f(-1) * f(1) And you can find more of these simple relations, you should eventually be able to guess what the function is.

Another relation I got is f(x)=nf(1)f(x) for any natural number n, because f(x)=f(1*x)=f(1)f(x)=f(1*1)f(x)=f(1)f(1)f(x) and you can just keep doing this. Is this correct? Seems like a pretty strong condition

chipotleaway said:
Another relation I got is f(x)=nf(1)f(x) for any natural number n, because f(x)=f(1*x)=f(1)f(x)=f(1*1)f(x)=f(1)f(1)f(x) and you can just keep doing this. Is this correct? Seems like a pretty strong condition

You mean f(x)=f(1)^n*f(x) (not nf(1)f(x)). That's not too hard to satisfy if f(1)=1.

Likes 1 person
chipotleaway said:

That would give you [itex]f(x) = f(1)^n f(x)[/itex].

Did it not occur to you to stop after [itex]f(x) = f(1x) = f(1)f(x)[/itex] and see what that requires of [itex]f(1)[/itex]? See my earlier post.

You also have
[tex]
f(0) = f(0\times 1) = f(0)f(1)
[/tex]
and
[tex]
f(0) = f(0 \times 2) = 2f(0)f(1)
[/tex]
What does
[tex]
f(0)f(1) = 2f(0)f(1)
[/tex]
require of [itex]f(0)f(1)[/itex]?

Likes 1 person
Haha, brain malfunction there.

Anyway, I got it now (quite certain it didn't take anyone else half as long to do it, don't think they needed this much help either!)

f(1)=1, f(a)=a for any real a because f(a)=f(1+...+1)=f(1)+..+f(1)=1+..+1=a (a times).

For the imaginary part, f(i^2)=f(i)^2=f(-1)=-1 (by the above). So f(i) is i or minus i.

f(a+bi)=f(a)+f(b)f(i)=a+bi if i is positive, but that's the identity function so it must be f(a+bi)=a-bi.

Thanks a lot everyone

very nice! although really, f(a)=a for any rational a (and this solution is not a unique solution, for 'a' real). But I think that all the other solutions are highly pathological anyway.

1. How do I construct a complex function with specific properties?

To construct a complex function with specific properties, you will need to first identify the desired properties and then use mathematical techniques to manipulate the function to fulfill those properties. This may involve combining simpler functions, using algebraic operations, or applying transformations to existing functions.

2. What are some common properties that can be constructed in a complex function?

Some common properties that can be constructed in a complex function include continuity, differentiability, periodicity, symmetry, and specific values or behaviors at certain points or intervals.

3. Are there any limitations to constructing a complex function with specific properties?

Yes, there are limitations to constructing a complex function with specific properties. Not all properties can be simultaneously fulfilled, and some properties may be difficult or impossible to achieve depending on the given constraints or conditions.

4. Can a complex function have more than one set of properties?

Yes, a complex function can have more than one set of properties. In fact, it is common for a complex function to have multiple properties that work together to define its overall behavior and characteristics.

5. How can I verify that a complex function has the desired properties?

To verify that a complex function has the desired properties, you can use mathematical methods such as graphing, differentiation, or integration to analyze its behavior and compare it to the desired properties. Additionally, you can use mathematical proofs to demonstrate that the function satisfies the given properties.