Constructing the central potential from the orbit

In summary, the conversation is about reconstructing an unknown central potential based on the information of a particle of mass M moving in a circular orbit of radius R that passes through the origin. Chen originally asks for help, but later reveals that they have already solved the problem. The other person reminds Chen of the forum rules and their reasoning for asking for information about Chen's progress.
Chen
Hi,

A particle of mass M is moving in an uknown central potential. Its orbit is a circle of raduis R, that passes through the origin. I need to reconstruct the potential from this information.

Thanks,
Chen

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done till now?

Solved it. Thank you very very much.

You are welcome :biggrin:

Last edited:
Chen, I already know how to do this sum. It is you who posted asking for help.
The forum rules are that you should show your work if you require help. Besides, I wanted to know how far you had gone along. It's easier to provide hints that way.
So, I feel the way I answered was perfectly right.

1. What is a central potential in physics?

A central potential is a mathematical function that describes the forces acting on a particle in a central force field, such as gravity or electromagnetism. It determines the shape of the orbit of a particle around a central object.

2. How is the central potential related to the orbit of a particle?

The central potential is directly related to the shape of the orbit of a particle. It determines the strength and direction of the forces acting on the particle, which in turn determines the trajectory of the particle.

3. How can the central potential be constructed from the orbit of a particle?

The central potential can be constructed from the orbit of a particle by using mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and Kepler's laws of planetary motion. By analyzing the orbit of a particle, the central potential can be derived and described.

4. Why is it important to construct the central potential from the orbit?

Constructing the central potential from the orbit allows scientists to better understand the underlying physical laws and forces at play in a system. It also allows for the prediction and calculation of future orbits, which is crucial for various fields such as space exploration and satellite design.

5. Can the central potential change over time?

Yes, the central potential can change over time depending on the dynamic nature of the system. For example, in a binary star system, the central potential may change as the stars orbit each other and their distance varies. In general, the central potential can be affected by factors such as mass, distance, and the presence of other objects in the system.