Regular vs stable orbits in spherically symmetric potentials

In summary, classical mechanics can be summarized as follows: canonical transformations, angle-action variables, invariant tori in phase space, and quasiperiodic motion in Cartesian coordinates. If there are less than 3 integrals of motion, then some (if not all) orbits are chaotic. If a potential has a local maximum, then the law of physics is unpredictable about what will happen next.
ZelchJ
TL;DR Summary
Are chaotic orbits possible in central force fields?
I am struggling with Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics. I think I have grasped the idea of canonical transformations, including the idea of angle-action variables and invariant tori in phase space. Still, few points seem to elude my understanding...

Let's talk about a particle moving in a 3D potential, so its phase-space is 6D. If I understand it right, if this potential has at least 3 integrals of motion, then the system is said to be integrable, and the particle's orbit in phase space is confined to the surface of a three-dimensional torus, and its motion in Cartesian coordinates is quasiperiodic. If, on the other hand, there are less than 3 integrals of motion, then some (if not all) orbits are chaotic (irregular).

Now, any static spherically symmetric potential has four integrals of motion - energy and three components of the angular momentum. Is this enough to state that chaotic orbits are impossible in static spherically symmetric potentials? In other words, that all orbits are regular in any static central force field?

If yes, then how does this match with the fact that unstable orbits are possible in central force field? (e.g., https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/183726/what-makes-an-orbit-stable-or-unstable). In my understanding, regular orbits are basically a synonym for stable orbits: because regular orbits are not chaotic, two near-by orbits on two near-by tori don't ever diverge as chaotic orbits do. Isn't it the same as stability?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
ZelchJ said:
If yes, then how does this match with the fact that unstable orbits are possible in central force field? (e.g., https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/183726/what-makes-an-orbit-stable-or-unstable). In my understanding, regular orbits are basically a synonym for stable orbits: because regular orbits are not chaotic, two near-by orbits on two near-by tori don't ever diverge as chaotic orbits do. Isn't it the same as stability?
Stability here means orbits that are closed, i.e., that do not converge (diverge) to 0 (infinity).

Likes vanhees71
Suppose that one uses a potential that has a local maximum. Further, assume that the potential is shaped so that a particle can approach the point of the maximum and arrive within finite time with zero remaining kinetic energy. Then the laws of physics are impredictive about what happens next. The particle can stay there indefinitely. Or it can depart at any time in either direction.

If my memory does not betray me, the function ##f(x) = -e^{-1/x^2}## for x not equal to zero and ##f(x) = 0## for ##x = 0## qualifies as such a potential. One could tweak it to put a potential barrier at the ends so that escape is made impossible.

Likes vanhees71
Of course, for this potential the analysis in terms of a power series around ##x=0## must fail, because there is an essential singularity when considered as a complex function, and thus there's no power series or, more precisely, the power series has convergence radius 0.

Likes jbriggs444
Thank you all for the replies. But I still can't see how this relates to the notion of regular orbits in phase-space of Hamiltonian formulation.

1. What is the difference between a regular and stable orbit in a spherically symmetric potential?

A regular orbit is one in which the trajectory of an object follows a predictable and repeating path, while a stable orbit is one in which the object remains in its orbit without being pulled away by external forces.

2. How does the shape of the potential affect the stability of an orbit?

The shape of the potential determines the strength of the gravitational force acting on an object. In a spherically symmetric potential, the force decreases with distance from the center, so a more shallow potential will result in a less stable orbit.

3. Can an orbit be both regular and unstable?

Yes, an orbit can be regular but still unstable. This means that the object follows a predictable path, but may eventually be pulled out of its orbit due to external forces.

4. How do the mass and velocity of an object affect its orbit in a spherically symmetric potential?

The mass and velocity of an object both play a role in determining the shape and stability of its orbit. A more massive object will have a stronger gravitational force, while a higher velocity will result in a larger orbit.

5. Are there any real-life applications of studying regular vs stable orbits in spherically symmetric potentials?

Yes, understanding the dynamics of regular and stable orbits is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and aerospace engineering. It helps us predict the behavior of objects in space and design spacecraft trajectories for missions.