Construction of CVT Metal push belt

The first friction interface is between the elements and the pulleys. The second friction interface is between the elements and the rings, which helps to drive the rings and transmit power through compression rather than tension.
Yaksha
I am trying to understand the construction of CVT Metal belts that are made up of steel elements and some rings. I do not understand the full construction details of the belt.
The most detailed information I have got ever is in this PDF on page 5
http://www.ijera.com/papers/Vol5_issue3/Part - 1/S5030199105.pdf

Specifically, I want to know about
  • How do the elements not move backwards on the rings?
  • How does this belt transmit power by compression than tension?
  • How does the ring flex?
A complete explanation on the construction would be very helpful.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Is this a homework problem ?

Nidum said:
Is this a homework problem ?
No we are solving a design problem and we wanted to incorporate the pushbelt in our design. So I want to understand the construction details properly and its working. Could you please go into the construction details?

By looking at the figure in the below you will see that the tapered inner faces of the pulleys are radially grooved so as to engage with the edges of the lateral segments on the belt in order for one pulley to "push" the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic

JBA said:
By looking at the figure in the below you will see that the tapered inner faces of the pulleys are radially grooved so as to engage with the edges of the lateral segments on the belt in order for one pulley to "push" the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic

This is a CVT chain and not the metal push belt i am talking about. Of course, i do understand that the application is same.

To all those answering this thread, I sincerely request you for a very detailed technical explanation OR answers to the the questions in the first message on the thread, rather than speaking in general terms.

Thank you

Yaksha said:
Specifically, I want to know about

[*]How do the elements not move backwards on the rings?
The elements are driven by the drive pulley. Friction between the elements and the ring drives the rings. The rings are in tension. Imagine jamming your fingers in a rubber belt drive, you can bet they would be dragged around the pulley rather than slide backwards along the belt.
[*]How does this belt transmit power by compression than tension?
With a rubber belt one side is under greater tension than the other. On a metal belt the elements aren't fixed together so they cannot be in tension. Instead the driving pulley pushes the elements on the other side. Normally it would be hard to push something flexible (like trying to push a string) but the rings are in tension and act as a guide for the elements. It's more like pushing washers along a rigid rod.
[*]How does the ring flex?
The rings are laminated from 9-12 thin layers of very thin flexible metal. I believe these must stretch very slightly so the load is shared between all the layers.

Likes Yaksha and Nidum
CWatters said:
The elements are driven by the drive pulley. Friction between the elements and the ring drives the rings. The rings are in tension. Imagine jamming your fingers in a rubber belt drive, you can bet they would be dragged around the pulley rather than slide backwards along the belt.

With a rubber belt one side is under greater tension than the other. On a metal belt the elements aren't fixed together so they cannot be in tension. Instead the driving pulley pushes the elements on the other side. Normally it would be hard to push something flexible (like trying to push a string) but the rings are in tension and act as a guide for the elements. It's more like pushing washers along a rigid rod.

The rings are laminated from 9-12 thin layers of very thin flexible metal. I believe these must stretch very slightly so the load is shared between all the layers.
Thanks a lot for the answer! I have got a very clear idea now!

If I have got it right, there are two friction interfaces here right?
  • One between the element and the pulley.
  • The other between the element and the rings.

Yes.

Likes Yaksha

1. What is a CVT metal push belt and how does it work?

A CVT (continuously variable transmission) metal push belt is a type of transmission belt used in vehicles to transfer power from the engine to the wheels. It is made up of a series of metal blocks connected by flexible metal links, which can be adjusted to change the gear ratio and provide smooth acceleration.

2. What are the advantages of using a CVT metal push belt?

One of the main advantages of using a CVT metal push belt is that it provides a smoother and more efficient power transfer compared to traditional transmission systems. It also allows for a wider range of gear ratios, resulting in improved fuel efficiency and better performance.

3. How is a CVT metal push belt constructed?

A CVT metal push belt is typically constructed using high-strength steel or other metal alloys. The metal blocks are precision molded and then connected by flexible metal links. The belt is then coated with a special lubricant to reduce friction and increase durability.

4. What are the common issues with CVT metal push belts?

Some common issues with CVT metal push belts include wear and tear, which can lead to loss of tension and slipping. This can be caused by lack of maintenance, high temperatures, or excessive load. It is important to regularly inspect and replace worn or damaged belts to avoid performance issues.

5. Can a CVT metal push belt be repaired or replaced?

In most cases, a CVT metal push belt cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced if it becomes damaged or worn. However, regular maintenance and proper use can extend the lifespan of the belt. It is important to consult a professional mechanic for any repairs or replacements to ensure proper installation and functionality.