EML3005 Mechanical Design Project Shaft Analysis

In summary, The speaker needs help with a project that is worth 10% of their grade. They have read the book but are struggling to apply the formulas to the project. They have uploaded a diagram and are looking for guidance, but not the answers, on how to approach the project. The project involves designing a shaft to transmit torque to a gear and pulley, and hold them axially. They have questions about the direction and reactions of forces on the shaft. They have also calculated the weight and normal force on the gear, and are trying to solve for the x and y values of the pulley.
stefan1988
I need some help Desperately for this class.

this project is 10% of my grade and I'm doing really bad in this class >_<.
I have read the book but is all talking about is bunch of formulas that i have no idea how to relate them to this.
I uploaded the diagram as well that was part of the Project information

i don't want the answers necessarily but point me in the right direction
X value=5
Y value =8

I uploaded the diagram explaining it a little bit more
at the moment I am confused as hell as to do what to do or where to even start from
Code:
Assume that x is the second number in your UFID and that y is the fourth number.  
(For example, if your UFID is 8765-4321, then x=7 and y=5.)

See the sketches below.
You have a shaft that is loaded by an overhanging V-belt pulley and a gear between the bearings.   The center of the pulley is  1x0 mm  from the center of the bearing.
The belt tensions on the pulley are  y0o  above the opposite horizontal direction of the transmitted force (Wt) applied to the gear.
The shaft transmits 10 kW at 1200 rpm.
The pitch diameter of the pulley is 250 mm.  TB = 5TA.
The involute gear is 20o, P=6, and has a pitch diameter of 6 inches.
Assume the forces are in the centers of the gear, pulley, and bearings.

Please create a report which includes the following:

a.  a printed cover sheet with your name on it

b.  shear and moment diagram for the shaft for the horizontal direction

c.  shear and moment diagram for the shaft for the vertical direction

d.  a diagram of the maximum bending moment at each point in the shaft

e.  a diagram of the torque at each point in the shaft

f.  (Doing no calculations at this time and assuming your design concepts may change after you do detailed design in Part B) sketch a conceptual design of the shaft.  The shaft sketch should show provisions for transmitting torque to the gear and pulley (keyways? holes? etc.) and methods for holding the components axially (shoulders? holes? snap ring grooves? etc.).  Assume (for now) that the pulley and gear have about 30 mm wide hubs and that the bearings are about 15 mm wide.  Put no dimensions on the shaft at this time, but the design should be reasonable.

so far all i can think of is do FBD Diagram
1st question would be what is the horizontal direction? is it the way is already drawn in the diagram or is that vertical direction?

2nd question would be
if i do a FBD the way is show there
the reactions for Bearing,Gear,V pulley?

By RA i mean Reaction at A for first bearing
for Bearing is it only RAY i should take into account? or do i take into account RAZ?
for the Gear is it only Torsion? that i take into account or does it have RAY and RAZ

Any help would be Extremely appreciated

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 974
Physics news on Phys.org
I did some more work on it maybe somebody can help double check if I am doing this calculations right

WT=(60,000*H)/(π*D*N) H=power,KW D=gear diameter,mm N=speed rev/min
information given shaft transmits 10KW at 1,200 rpm
pitch diameter of gear 6inches since D has to be in mm i do conversion of
6in*(25.4mm/1 in)=152.4 so D=152.4mm

WT=1.04432KN
to find the normal force pushing on gear
WR=1.04432KN*Tan(20°)=.380101KN

now I am trying to solve for the pulley

1. What is the purpose of the EML3005 Mechanical Design Project Shaft Analysis?

The purpose of this project is to design and analyze a mechanical shaft system, which involves determining the optimal dimensions and materials to ensure safe and efficient operation.

2. What are the main components of a mechanical shaft system?

The main components of a mechanical shaft system include the shaft itself, bearings, seals, couplings, and any other connecting elements such as gears or pulleys.

3. How is the stress and strain of a shaft determined in the analysis?

The stress and strain of a shaft are determined through various calculations, including the use of equations such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation and the Torsion equation. Finite element analysis (FEA) software may also be used to simulate the behavior of the shaft under different loading conditions.

4. What are some common failure modes of a mechanical shaft?

Some common failure modes of a mechanical shaft include fatigue failure, bending failure, and torsional failure. These can occur due to excessive loading, improper material selection, or inadequate design.

5. How is the safety factor determined in the shaft analysis?

The safety factor is determined by dividing the ultimate strength (or yield strength) of the shaft material by the maximum stress or torque that the shaft will experience. A higher safety factor indicates a more robust and reliable design.