Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Content Generating Algorithms - Where to Start?

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    I want to learn more about content generating algorithms (examples: http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2007/1842077.htm" [Broken]), but I'm not sure where to begin. I have basic programming knowledge, but I figure I can learn any more advanced programming requirements as I go.

Can someone recommend some reading to start with on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

SCIgen the syntactically correct CS technobabble generator (for those moments when you wonder whether certain authors just randomly strung buzz-words together):
    http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    Does anyone else find it hilarious that the book generating program uses automation and copy-pasting in Word instead of just generating a latex source? Sounds like wayyy more of a pain than it has to be...

5. May 4, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Markov chains can be used.

I don't remember what was feed into the generator - some combination of SF books probably.

6. May 4, 2009 #5
    Noone has any suggestions on where to start learning about it?

7. May 4, 2009 #6

DavidSnider

Gold Member

8. May 4, 2009 #7
    Thanks DavidSnider, that was an interesting read. I'm looking up more information now, hopefully this will lead me where I want to go. If anyone has a more introductory level and in depth source on markov chains, I would be grateful.

9. May 4, 2009 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

The basic idea behind the text above is:

1. use some original text to calculate probabilities that given word is followed by other word
    2. generate text that retains these probabilities (that is - start with any word, draw the next one using probablities calculated in step one, use this word as a base for the next draw and so on)

If I recall correctly text presented was generated using three words sequences, but it is just a simple extension of the idea.

Edit: Hm, Chasma Borealis suggests Red Mars was used as the input :smile: I really don't remember, I wrote the code several years ago.

10. May 4, 2009 #9

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I've heard rumors that social science papers have been generated this way and accepted into peer reviewed journals =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook