Algorithms learning materials and exercises

In summary, the conversation is about a teaching assistant seeking advice on finding literature and examples for an "Introduction to computer algorithms" subject with a focus on mathematical background. They have already searched for resources on websites like MIT OpenCourseWare and are now asking for further recommendations. The conversation also mentions a specific book, "Algorithms in C" by Sedgewick, which may be helpful. Additionally, a course at the University of Pennsylvania is suggested as a good example of the type of mathematical knowledge needed for this subject.
oujea
Hello

I'm teaching assistant at one university in Bosnia and Herzegovina (department for computer science) and I have recently been chosen to be an assistant at "Introduction to computer algorithms" subject. First few classes are based on mathematical background (induction, recursion, algorithm complexity and so on) and I need to find (or make) some examples and tasks for students from this field and to let them work on it during the lab classes, so I'm looking for literature (english) and examples from this field of science, but as much as possible focused on programming and computer science side. Not regular math examples about induction, but something that could be easily interpreted as computer science engineer problem.Do you have any advices where to start from?Thank you in advance

Technology news on Phys.org
I already tried there but no luck, there is nothing with focus on mathematical background

Sedgewick's 'Algorithms in C' has (I think) a lot of what you want. How much of it is freely available I do not know.

1. What are algorithms learning materials and exercises?

Algorithms learning materials and exercises are resources designed to help individuals understand and practice algorithms, which are step-by-step procedures for solving problems. These materials typically include explanations, examples, and practice problems to help learners gain a deeper understanding of algorithmic concepts.

2. Why are algorithms important to learn?

Algorithms are fundamental to computer science and have numerous applications in fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, and software development. By learning algorithms, individuals can improve their problem-solving skills and gain a better understanding of how computers process information, making them valuable in various industries.

3. What types of algorithms are typically covered in learning materials and exercises?

Algorithms learning materials and exercises may cover a range of topics, including sorting algorithms, search algorithms, graph algorithms, and dynamic programming. They may also cover different types of data structures, such as arrays, linked lists, trees, and graphs, which are often used in conjunction with algorithms.

4. Are there any prerequisites for learning algorithms?

While having some basic programming knowledge can be helpful, many algorithms learning materials and exercises are designed to be accessible to beginners. However, learners should be familiar with fundamental concepts such as loops, conditional statements, and data types in programming languages.

5. Are there any online resources for algorithms learning materials and exercises?

Yes, there are numerous online resources available for learning algorithms, including tutorials, interactive platforms, and open-source courses. Some popular options include Codeacademy, Coursera, and Khan Academy. Many universities also offer online courses or lectures on algorithms that are open to the public.