Continous probability between two bus stops

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a person who is somewhere between two bus stops that are one mile apart. The person's position is assumed to be a uniform [0,1] random variable. The conversation covers topics such as the average distance to the bus stops, the closest bus stop, the density function of the closest bus stop, the expected value and variance of the closest bus stop, the probability of finding a coffee shop on the way to a random bus stop, the probability of being closer to the coffee shop than a bus stop, and the probability of being closer than a certain distance to a bus stop.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

You arrive at a road, and all you know is that you are somewhere between two bus stops which are one mile apart. Since you don’t know where you are, you assume that your position X is a uniform [0,1] random variable.

a) How far do you have to walk on average to the bus stop at the origin? And to the other bus stop?
b) Let the closest bus stop be distance Y away. What is the density function of Y ?
c) What are EY and VarY ?
d) If you also know that there is a coffee shop somewhere between the two bus stops, and you head to a random bus stop, what is the chance that you can fetch a coffee on your way?
e) What is the probability that you are closer to the coffee shop than to a bus stop?
f) Calculate P(you are within distance 1/4 of a bus stop).
g) Calculate P (you are closer than 1/10 to a bus stop | you are closer than 1/5 to a bus stop ).

Homework Equations

E[Y]= ∫y*f(y)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 1/2 for both by intuition. Is it mathematically correct to consider this as ∫xdx from 0 to 1?
b) Our function f(y) is a piece-wise function where f(y)=y if 0≤y≤1/2 and f(y)=1-y if 1/2≤y≤1.
c) EY is gotten by summing ∫y*ydy from 0 to 1/2 and ∫(1-y)*ydy from 1/2 to 1. This results in 1/8.
VarY=E[Y^2]+{EY}^2
E[Y^2} is gotten by doing the same as E[Y} but by multiplying by y^2 instead of y in the integral. Sum ∫y*y^2dy
from 0 to 1/2 and ∫(1-y)*y^2dy from 1/2 to 1 which leads to 7/96. Hence, VarY=7/96+(1/8)^2=17/192.
d) Unsure. Any help in setting up the equation will be appreciated.
e) 1/2?
f) The probability is found by integrating the density function we got in part b. P(x≤1/4)= ∫xdx from 0 to 1/4 = (1/2)(1/16). Since there are two bus stations, we multiply by two which leads to P(x≤1/4)=1/16.
g) Using the definition of Bayes formula, P(E|F)=P(E)*P(F|E)/P(F) but P(F|E)=1 in our case so P(E|F) is just P(E)/P(F).
P(E)=P(x≤1/10)=2* ∫xdx from 0 to 1/10 (same reasoning as part f)=1/100.
P(F)=P(x≤1/5)=2*∫xdx from 0 to 1/5=1/25.
P(E)/P(F)=1/4 so the answer is 1/4.

Hi all.

I am having a difficult time solving these worksheet problems. I am quite adept at computing the probability, expected value and variance but when it comes to understanding the problems themselves, my mind just melts down.
And comments on my (lack of) work will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

You arrive at a road, and all you know is that you are somewhere between two bus stops which are one mile apart. Since you don’t know where you are, you assume that your position X is a uniform [0,1] random variable.

a) How far do you have to walk on average to the bus stop at the origin? And to the other bus stop?
b) Let the closest bus stop be distance Y away. What is the density function of Y ?

Homework Equations

E[Y]= ∫y*f(y)dy

a) 1/2 for both by intuition. Is it mathematically correct to consider this as ∫xdx from 0 to 1?
b) Our function f(y) is a piece-wise function where f(y)=y if 0≤y≤1/2 and f(y)=1-y if 1/2≤y≤1.
Let's just talk about part b for now. You say "our function f(y) is..." above. Are you claiming that is the density function for Y? Hint: It isn't. Do you see that Y is the min of X and 1-X? What are the values that Y might take? That should help you figure out the values of y for which the density f(y) is nonzero. You will probably want to start by figuring out the cdf ##F(y) = P(Y\le y)## first. No point in even thinking about the rest of the problem until you get f(y) figured out.

Likes spacetimedude
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

c) What are EY and VarY ?
d) If you also know that there is a coffee shop somewhere between the two bus stops, and you head to a random bus stop, what is the chance that you can fetch a coffee on your way?
e) What is the probability that you are closer to the coffee shop than to a bus stop?
f) Calculate P(you are within distance 1/4 of a bus stop).
g) Calculate P (you are closer than 1/10 to a bus stop | you are closer than 1/5 to a bus stop ).

Homework Equations

E[Y]= ∫y*f(y)dy

c) EY is gotten by summing ∫y*ydy from 0 to 1/2 and ∫(1-y)*ydy from 1/2 to 1. This results in 1/8.
VarY=E[Y^2]+{EY}^2
E[Y^2} is gotten by doing the same as E[Y} but by multiplying by y^2 instead of y in the integral. Sum ∫y*y^2dy
from 0 to 1/2 and ∫(1-y)*y^2dy from 1/2 to 1 which leads to 7/96. Hence, VarY=7/96+(1/8)^2=17/192.
d) Unsure. Any help in setting up the equation will be appreciated.
e) 1/2?
f) The probability is found by integrating the density function we got in part b. P(x≤1/4)= ∫xdx from 0 to 1/4 = (1/2)(1/16). Since there are two bus stations, we multiply by two which leads to P(x≤1/4)=1/16.
g) Using the definition of Bayes formula, P(E|F)=P(E)*P(F|E)/P(F) but P(F|E)=1 in our case so P(E|F) is just P(E)/P(F).
P(E)=P(x≤1/10)=2* ∫xdx from 0 to 1/10 (same reasoning as part f)=1/100.
P(F)=P(x≤1/5)=2*∫xdx from 0 to 1/5=1/25.
P(E)/P(F)=1/4 so the answer is 1/4.

Hi all.

I am having a difficult time solving these worksheet problems. I am quite adept at computing the probability, expected value and variance but when it comes to understanding the problems themselves, my mind just melts down.
And comments on my (lack of) work will be greatly appreciated.

(1) How did you get your result in (b)? [I get something very different!]
(2) A different answer in (b) leads to a different answer in (c).
(3) Surely (d) must be almost "intuitive". HInt: read the question carefully.
(4) For (e): don't guess; work it out somehow.
(5) I get a different answer for (f) and (g), and using a different logic from yours.

Likes spacetimedude
I just realized that the random variable is uniform so I can just use the properties of uniform random variable, which makes it a lot easier to solve. I have gotten the answers now. Thank you LCKurtz and Ray!

1. What is continuous probability between two bus stops?

Continuous probability between two bus stops refers to the likelihood of a bus arriving at a specific time between two designated bus stops. It takes into account all the possible times that the bus could arrive, including fractions of a minute.

2. How is continuous probability calculated?

Continuous probability is calculated using a mathematical formula known as a probability density function. This function takes into account the range of possible outcomes and assigns a probability value to each one.

3. What factors can affect continuous probability between two bus stops?

The factors that can affect continuous probability between two bus stops include traffic conditions, weather conditions, and the efficiency of the bus system. These factors can impact the arrival time of the bus, thus affecting the probability of it arriving at a certain time.

4. How is continuous probability useful for bus transportation?

Continuous probability can be useful for bus transportation as it allows us to predict the likelihood of a bus arriving at a certain time. This information can be used to improve the efficiency of the bus system and reduce waiting times for passengers.

5. Is continuous probability the same as discrete probability?

No, continuous probability and discrete probability are not the same. Continuous probability deals with continuous variables, such as time, while discrete probability deals with discrete variables, such as the number of passengers on a bus. However, both types of probability can be used to analyze and improve bus transportation systems.