1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity and differentiability over a closed interval

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://i.imgur.com/69BmR.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a, c are right because f(c) is continuous.
    b, d are right because f'(c) is differentiable over the interval
    I am not sure about e. Can anyone explain to me?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Are you sure about that? What about a linear function? Then f'(x) = constant ≠ 0.

What the claim is saying is that there exists a well-defined maximum value for f. How would the function f need to behave for this claim not to be true?

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You appear to have "cut off" a critical part: what is f(1)?

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    Ah I see, b is the answer. Because f is not a constan, so it can only be linear. When it's differentiated it can't equal to zero under [-2,1].

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  6. Oct 18, 2012 #5
    f(1)=4

7. Oct 18, 2012 #6
    That makes no sense at all. Why won't you draw a picture to get some idea of what's happening, if you want to reason like this without any mathematical proofs.

8. Oct 18, 2012 #7
    Thank you clamtrox. I am very rusty about the definition of continuity and differentiability, even I went back to my calc textbook, I still cannot figure out what I should do. Can you tell me what's wrong with my reasoning?

9. Oct 19, 2012 #8
    I personally think drawing the picture is more informative

I think the problem in your reasoning is that you don't fully understand the problem. So visually, these things you know about the function:
    -it starts from p=(-2,-5) and ends in q=(1,4)
    -there are no jumps
    -there are no sharp edges
    You are asked to check if there exists any such function for which the conditions A-E do not hold.

A is easy: you cannot draw a curve from p to q without crossing f=0. This can be shown easily using intermediate value theorem.

Now for B: here you need to check if all curves from p to q must have f'=0 at some point. In otherwords, they are parallel to the x-axis. Now I already gave you one counterexample for why this isn't true. I am sure you can draw several other curves that also are not parallel with x-axis at any points, but still satisfy the other conditions.

Then D is the most interesting one: you should really think hard about this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook