Continuity of Green's function

In summary: The derivative of the ##\delta## is a separate distribution in and of itself. It does not really make sense to say that it is ##\delta/x##. Its exact properties are not important at the moment, but know that it is separate from the delta itself.
Wledig
Why can't G and its derivative be continuous in the relation below?

$$p(x)\dfrac{dG}{dx} \Big|_{t-\epsilon}^{t+\epsilon} +\int_{t-\epsilon}^{t+\epsilon} q(x) \;G(x,t) dx = 1$$

Physics news on Phys.org
They can, but not if it is to hold as ##\epsilon \to 0##.

Likes Wledig
Yes, I realized that. Both terms would vanish if that was the case, however the way this situation is avoided by letting dG/dx have a discontinuity at x = t seems rather arbitrary. Couldn't the same be accomplished by letting G have a discontinuity in t? I guess I just find a bit awkward to let G be continuous but not its derivative, not sure if this is a condition that should hold true.

Wledig said:
Couldn't the same be accomplished by letting G have a discontinuity in t?
No, that would not help. The integral would still go to zero.

Wledig said:
I guess I just find a bit awkward to let G be continuous but not its derivative, not sure if this is a condition that should hold true.
This is really not a strange thing. There are many examples of sich functions. For example ##f(x) = |x|##.

Still, I can relate to your worries and I also never liked this argument although it does its job in the end. My preferred argument, and the one I use in my book, is to write ##G## as a piecewise function ##G(x,x’) = \theta(x-x’)g_1(x) + \theta(x’-x)g_2(x)## and insert this into the differential equation using that ##\theta’## is a delta function. You will need some delta function properties, but once the smoke clears you will obtain exactly the same result.

Likes Wledig
Orodruin said:
This is really not a strange thing. There are many examples of sich functions. For example f(x)=|x|f(x)=|x|f(x) = |x|.
You're right, I completely forgot this classic example.
Orodruin said:
Still, I can relate to your worries and I also never liked this argument although it does its job in the end. My preferred argument, and the one I use in my book, is to write GGG as a piecewise function G(x,x′)=θ(x−x′)g1(x)+θ(x′−x)g2(x)G(x,x′)=θ(x−x′)g1(x)+θ(x′−x)g2(x)G(x,x’) = \theta(x-x’)g_1(x) + \theta(x’-x)g_2(x) and insert this into the differential equation using that θ′θ′\theta’ is a delta function. You will need some delta function properties, but once the smoke clears you will obtain exactly the same result.
That's actually a much more natural way of thinking about the problem, since the derivative of the step function is Dirac's delta, we're just left with the boundary conditions. I just wonder how to reach the relation below from it though. $$ \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \left( \dfrac{dG}{dx} \Big|_{x=t+\epsilon} - \dfrac{dG}{dx} \Big|_{x=t-\epsilon} \right) = \dfrac{1}{p(t)} $$

What do you get when you do the insertion into your differential equation?

Sorry, I'm confused. I tried inserting it into ##\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(p(x)\dfrac{dG}{dx}\right)+q(x)G=\delta(x-t)## but I got a pretty long expression in return that didn't seem like it could be simplified into anything that would help me reach the relation. Am I following your line of thought correctly? Maybe I misunderstood something.

Wledig said:
Am I following your line of thought correctly?
It is impossible to know that unless you actually show us what you got.

Alright, here's what I got:
$$ p[(g''_1 \theta(x-x') + 2g'_1 \delta(x-x') + g_1 \delta(x-x')') + (g''_2 \theta(x'-x) + 2g'_2 \delta(x'-x) + g_2 \delta(x'-x)')] + p'(g'_1 \theta(x-x') + g'_2\theta(x'-x) + g_1 \delta(x-x') + g_2 \delta(x'-x)) + q(g_1 \theta(x-x') + g_2\theta(x'-x)) = \delta(x-x')$$
Now, I looked it up that the derivative of the delta function is ##\frac{\delta}{x}## so I could substitute it there, but it doesn't seem to lead anywhere. I also thought about isolating ##\frac{dG}{dx}## and inserting in the other terms to come up with something, but that didn't seem to work either.

The derivative of the ##\delta## is a separate distribution in and of itself. It does not really make sense to say that it is ##\delta/x##. Its exact properties are not important at the moment, but know that it is separate from the delta itself. Before you take the second derivative, note that ##f(x) \delta(x-x') = f(x') \delta(x-x')##. That will save you some annoying cross terms that are a bit tricky to handle. After that, start collecting terms with the same factors of ##\theta##, ##\delta##, or ##\delta'## and identify it with the corresponding terms on the right-hand side.

Likes Wledig

1. What is the concept of continuity of Green's function?

The continuity of Green's function refers to the property of a Green's function to remain continuous when there is a change in the boundary conditions or the source term. This means that the Green's function remains unchanged even when there is a change in the problem being solved.

2. Why is the continuity of Green's function important in scientific research?

The continuity of Green's function is important because it allows for the use of a single Green's function to solve a variety of problems with different boundary conditions or source terms. This simplifies the process of solving complex problems and allows for more efficient and accurate solutions.

3. How is the continuity of Green's function mathematically expressed?

The continuity of Green's function is expressed through the following equation: G(x,x')|x=x' = 0, where G(x,x') represents the Green's function and x=x' represents the boundary condition.

4. Can the continuity of Green's function be violated?

Yes, the continuity of Green's function can be violated if there is a discontinuity in the boundary conditions or the source term. This can lead to inaccurate solutions and should be avoided in scientific research.

5. Are there any limitations to the continuity of Green's function?

While the continuity of Green's function is a useful property, it is not always applicable in all situations. In some cases, the Green's function may not be continuous and other methods may need to be used to solve the problem. Additionally, the continuity of Green's function may only hold for certain types of problems and may not be applicable to all physical systems.