Continuity on a Missing Strip Plane

In summary: The limit at x =1 in the plane exists and is 1. But in the Missing Strip Plane the left side of that neighborhood immediately contains x=0. Then wouldn't the limit at x=0 approach 1 from the right side?
thelema418
I've seen many definitions of continuous functions. They all describe x in a domain, but there's not really much explanation about the domain considerations beyond examples with "all the reals" and "an interval of the reals."

I'm trying to figure out what continuity would mean on a missing strip plane. For example, we know that [itex]f(x) = x [/itex] is a continuous function on the reals. But consider a missing strip plane where the interval [itex]x \in (0, 1][/itex] is missing. Is this function still continuous on that domain.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it is still continuous there. If ##f## is defined on a domain, i.e. ##f:D\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, then ##f## will remain continuous if we make the domain smaller. So if ##D^\prime## is contained in ##D##, then ##f:D^\prime\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## will be continuous if the original ##f## is.

However, the following situation might occur, take the following function:

discontinuity2.gif

This is obviously discontinuous in ##0## if the domain is the reals. However, if we take a smaller domain, then the function might become continuous. For example, if we cut out the interval [-1,1], then the function becomes continuous.

So, in general, if we make the domain smaller then some discontinuous functions might become continuous. But all continuous functions will remain continuous.

I attached a picture of my function in the Missing Strip Plane.

Micromass, I think when you say "make the domain smaller," you are referring to making a subinterval? I have seen that in a lot of textbooks. This is not that type of problem. Rather it is making two infinite intervals and joining them.

Attachments

• MissingStrip.png
    MissingStrip.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 510
thelema418 said:
I attached a picture of my function in the Missing Strip Plane.

Micromass, I think when you say "make the domain smaller," you are referring to making a subinterval? I have seen that in a lot of textbooks. This is not that type of problem. Rather it is making two infinite intervals and joining them.

Your domain is the reals without the interval [0,1]. This is a smaller domain than the reals.
When I said "make the domain smaller", then I meant what I said for any smaller domain, including yours.

So your function will still be continuous since it's continuous on a larger domain.

All you are doing is restricting a continuous function on ##\mathbb{R}## to the domain ##\mathbb{R}\setminus (0,1]## so yes it will of course still be continuous. This is trivial to show.

So, that means that the limit at x =1 in the plane exists and is 1. But in the Missing Strip Plane the left side of that neighborhood immediately contains x=0. Then wouldn't the limit at x=0 approach 1 from the right side?

I don't understand why you don't collapse the missing strip to make the two sides merge in this case.

1. What is continuity on a missing strip plane?

Continuity on a missing strip plane is a concept in mathematics and physics that refers to the smooth and unbroken path of a line or function on a plane where a portion of the plane is missing or removed.

2. Why is continuity on a missing strip plane important?

Continuity on a missing strip plane is important because it allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of functions in real-world situations where there may be gaps or missing sections in the data. It also helps us better understand the properties of continuous functions.

3. How is continuity on a missing strip plane different from regular continuity?

Continuity on a missing strip plane differs from regular continuity in that it takes into account the presence of gaps or missing sections in the plane. It requires the function to be continuous on the remaining portions of the plane and also satisfy certain conditions at the boundary of the missing strip.

4. What are the conditions for continuity on a missing strip plane?

The conditions for continuity on a missing strip plane include the function being continuous on the remaining portions of the plane, the limit of the function at the boundary of the missing strip existing, and the limit of the function approaching the boundary from both sides being equal.

5. How is continuity on a missing strip plane used in real-world applications?

Continuity on a missing strip plane is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as modeling the behavior of natural phenomena like ocean waves and weather patterns, analyzing data with gaps or missing sections, and designing efficient and smooth transportation routes.