1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity on Restrictions Implies Continuity Everywhere

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let (E, m) and (E', m') be metric spaces, let A and B be closed subsets of E such that their union equals E, and let f be a function from E into E'. Prove that if f is continuous on A and on B, then f is continuous on E.

The attempt at a solution
    I have approached this problem in three ways, but in each I get stuck.

First approach: Let S' be a closed subset of E' and let S = f-1(S'). If I can demonstrate the S is closed, then f is continuous on E. I wrote S as [tex](S \cap A) \cup (S \cap B)[/tex] and attempted to demonstrate that each intersection is closed. However, each intersection is closed if S is closed. This is a circular argument so it won't work. What else can I do here?

Second approach: Let p belong to E and let e > 0. Then either p belongs to A or p belongs to B. If the former, then there is a d(A) > 0 such that m'(f(p), f(q)) < e for all q in A satisfying m(p, q) < d(A). Now suppose there is a s in E such that m(p, s) < d(A) but m'(f(p), f(s)) ≥ e. This s must be in B. Since f is continuous on B, there is a d(B) > 0 such that m'(f(s), f(q)) < e for all in B satisfying m(s, q) < d(B). I don't know how to proceed from here.

Third approach: Suppose by way of contradiction that f is not continuous on E. Then for some p in E, for some e > 0, for all d > 0, there is a q in E such m(p, q) < d but m'(f(p), f(q)) ≥ e. I stopped here when I realized this is proceeding similarly as the second approach.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see anything circular about your first approach. The inverse image of each closed subset is closed. The union is f^(-1)(S'). The union of two closed sets is closed. Hence f^(-1)(S') is closed if S' is closed. Sounds pretty airtight to me.

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    That only works if f is continuous in E, which is what I'm trying to prove.

The intersection of S and A is closed if both S and A are closed. I already know that A is closed. That means I must only worry about S, but that's what I was worrying about from the beginning. In other words: S is closed iff the intersection of S and A (and S and B) is closed iff S is closed. This is the circular argument I'm referring to.

5. Oct 23, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But S=f^(-1)(S')=(f|A)^(-1)(S') union (f|B)^(-1)(S') where f|A and f|B are the restrictions. (f|A)^(-1)(S') is a closed subset of A (technically, 'in the topology of E restricted to A') since it's continuous ON A. There is a little bit to worry about here. For example, if O is an open set in E, a closed subset of O is not necessarily a closed subset of E. Take the example of E=R (reals), O=(-1,1), and A=[0,1). A is closed in O. But A is not closed in R. Do you see what I mean? But a closed subset of a closed set is closed.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  6. Oct 23, 2008 #5
    This never occurred to me. Jeez...

Right.

Yes. A may be written as the intersection of O with [0,1], which is closed in R, hence A is closed in O.

You mean: if A is closed in B and B is closed in E, then A is closed in E? In other words, "closedness" is transitive?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  7. Oct 23, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, exactly. "closedness" is transitive. It's easy to prove.

8. Oct 23, 2008 #7
    Maybe for you but no for me: Let A', B' be the complements of A, B in E. Then B' is a subset of A' since A is a subset of B. Pick a p in A'. If p is in B', then we can find an open ball centered at p entirely contained in B' and consequently in A'. But what if p is not in B', i.e. what if p is in B?

9. Oct 23, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, pick a p not in A. Either p is in B-A, in which case there is a ball around it that doesn't touch A because A IS CLOSED IN B. Or p is in E-B which means there is a ball around it that doesn't touch B because B IS CLOSED IN E. In the second case you also know the ball doesn't touch A because A is contained in B.

10. Oct 23, 2008 #9
    Neat. Thank you for the perspicuous explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?