Continuous Distribution of Charges Problem

In summary, the task is to find the expression for the electric field E⃗ at the center of a semicircle with a uniformly distributed charge Q along its length L. The solution involves defining the charge linear density λ and integrating with respect to the angle θ, taking advantage of the symmetry of the problem. The final answer is 2KQπ/L^2, where K is a constant and Q and L are the given quantities.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

Charge Q is uniformly distributed along a thin, flexible rod of length L. The rod is then bent into the semicircle shown in the figure (Figure 1) .

Find an expression for the electric field E⃗ at the center of the semicircle.
Hint: A small piece of arc length Δs spans a small angle Δθ=Δs /R, where R is the radius.
Express your answer in terms of the variables Q, L, unit vectors i^, j^, and appropriate constants.

upload_2017-2-24_20-18-25.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-2-24_20-21-28.png

[/B]
I drew a picture and established a coordinate system. Then I drew the vector of the electric fields at two point charges at point P. Then I saw that the y components of the field will cancel because of the symmetry. I then wrote what the field should be in terms of x. I'm not sure what to do now or how to get to a point where I could integrate.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:
I then wrote what the field should be in terms of x.
You mean ##x## as a coordinate? That's not necessary since you are asked to calculate the field on a fixed coordinate which is the center of the ring.
BrainMan said:
I'm not sure what to do now or how to get to a point where I could integrate.
After defining ##\lambda## to be the charge linear density ##Q/L = dQ/ds## you can integrate the last equation in your work.

Likes BrainMan
blue_leaf77 said:
You mean ##x## as a coordinate? That's not necessary since you are asked to calculate the field on a fixed coordinate which is the center of the ring.

After defining ##\lambda## to be the charge linear density ##Q/L = dQ/ds## you can integrate the last equation in your work.

OK I substituted the linear charge density and integrated from 0 to L. Somethings still wrong though.

BrainMan said:
OK I substituted the linear charge density and integrated from 0 to L. Somethings still wrong though.

Here's what I did:

E = ∫dE = ∫(K*dQ*cosθ)/r^2 = ∫(K*λ*dS*cosθ)/r^2) = (Kλ)/r^2 ∫cos(S/r)ds = (Kλ/r) ∫ sin(S/r) ] 0 to L = (Kλ/r)[sin(L/r)-1]

BrainMan said:
∫(K*λ*dS*cosθ)/r^2) = (Kλ)/r^2 ∫cos(S/r)ds
Leave ##\theta## as it is and use ##ds = rd\theta## and integrate with the angle. So that it will be
$$
\int \frac{k\lambda}{r^2} \cos\theta \ r\ d\theta
$$
Upon doing the integration, you may just integrate the upper/lower half of the semicircle owing to the symmetry.

Likes BrainMan
blue_leaf77 said:
Leave ##\theta## as it is and use ##ds = rd\theta## and integrate with the angle. So that it will be
$$
\int \frac{k\lambda}{r^2} \cos\theta \ r\ d\theta
$$
Upon doing the integration, you may just integrate the upper/lower half of the semicircle owing to the symmetry.

So I did (Kλ/r) ∫ cosθ dθ and got (Kλ/r) sinθ ] -pi/2 -> pi/2

So my final answer is 2Kλ/r = (2KQ) / (RL)

But my homework keeps saying "The correct answer does not depend on: KQ, RL."

Q and L are the given quantities, other than the appropriate constants. R is not given. Can you express R in terms of L?

Likes BrainMan
kuruman said:
Q and L are the given quantities, other than the appropriate constants. R is not given. Can you express R in terms of L?

So I changed my answer to 2KQπ/L^2 and it worked. Thanks!

1. What is the continuous distribution of charges problem?

The continuous distribution of charges problem is a concept in electromagnetism that deals with the distribution of electric charges over a continuous region rather than at specific points. It is used to calculate the electric field and potential at any point in space due to a continuous distribution of charges.

2. How is the continuous distribution of charges problem solved?

The continuous distribution of charges problem is solved using the principles of calculus and Coulomb's law. The region is divided into small elements, and the charge density at each element is calculated. Then, using the principle of superposition, the electric field and potential at the desired point are calculated by summing the contributions from all the elements.

3. What are some real-life applications of the continuous distribution of charges problem?

The continuous distribution of charges problem is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. Some examples of its applications include calculating the electric field inside a capacitor, determining the potential of a charged conductor, and studying the behavior of electric charges in complex systems.

4. What is the difference between a continuous and discrete distribution of charges?

A continuous distribution of charges refers to a situation where charges are spread out over a continuous region, while a discrete distribution of charges refers to a situation where charges are located at specific points. The continuous distribution of charges problem involves calculating the electric field and potential at any point in space due to the distribution of charges over a continuous region, while the discrete distribution of charges problem involves calculating the electric field and potential at specific points due to the presence of charges at those points.

5. Are there any simplifications or approximations made in solving the continuous distribution of charges problem?

Yes, there are some simplifications or approximations made in solving the continuous distribution of charges problem. For example, the size of the elements is assumed to be infinitesimally small, and the charge density is assumed to be constant within each element. These assumptions allow for the use of calculus to solve the problem and make the calculations more manageable.