1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous Distribution of Charges Problem

1. Feb 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Charge Q is uniformly distributed along a thin, flexible rod of length L. The rod is then bent into the semicircle shown in the figure (Figure 1) .

Find an expression for the electric field E⃗ at the center of the semicircle.
    Hint: A small piece of arc length Δs spans a small angle Δθ=Δs /R, where R is the radius.
    Express your answer in terms of the variables Q, L, unit vectors i^, j^, and appropriate constants.

upload_2017-2-24_20-18-25.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    upload_2017-2-24_20-21-28.png

I drew a picture and established a coordinate system. Then I drew the vector of the electric fields at two point charges at point P. Then I saw that the y components of the field will cancel because of the symmetry. I then wrote what the field should be in terms of x. I'm not sure what to do now or how to get to a point where I could integrate.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean ##x## as a coordinate? That's not necessary since you are asked to calculate the field on a fixed coordinate which is the center of the ring.
    After defining ##\lambda## to be the charge linear density ##Q/L = dQ/ds## you can integrate the last equation in your work.

4. Feb 24, 2017 #3
    OK I substituted the linear charge density and integrated from 0 to L. Somethings still wrong though.

5. Feb 24, 2017 #4

6. Feb 24, 2017 #5
    Here's what I did:

E = ∫dE = ∫(K*dQ*cosθ)/r^2 = ∫(K*λ*dS*cosθ)/r^2) = (Kλ)/r^2 ∫cos(S/r)ds = (Kλ/r) ∫ sin(S/r) ] 0 to L = (Kλ/r)[sin(L/r)-1]

7. Feb 24, 2017 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Leave ##\theta## as it is and use ##ds = rd\theta## and integrate with the angle. So that it will be
    $$
    \int \frac{k\lambda}{r^2} \cos\theta \ r\ d\theta
    $$
    Upon doing the integration, you may just integrate the upper/lower half of the semicircle owing to the symmetry.

8. Feb 25, 2017 #7
    So I did (Kλ/r) ∫ cosθ dθ and got (Kλ/r) sinθ ] -pi/2 -> pi/2

So my final answer is 2Kλ/r = (2KQ) / (RL)

But my homework keeps saying "The correct answer does not depend on: KQ, RL."

9. Feb 25, 2017 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Q and L are the given quantities, other than the appropriate constants. R is not given. Can you express R in terms of L?

10. Feb 25, 2017 #9
    So I changed my answer to 2KQπ/L^2 and it worked. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted