Potential difference due to a continuous charge distribution

In summary: What value did you get for V when you used this value of λ?I get V = -6.20V, which actually turns out to be right. Looking back at my previous attempts, it seems I accidentally went from dq => rθdθ, instead of dq => rdθ, which explains why I thought I was wrong originally. Thanks for helping me figure that out!In summary, this is my first time using this site and I'm having trouble integrating a charge distribution into a circle. I used the wrong equation for the integral and got a wrong answer. Thanks for helping me out!
Alec11
This is my first time using this site so please excuse me if I missed any guidelines.

1. Homework Statement

A plastic rod having a uniformly distributed charge Q=-25.6pC has been bent into a circular arc of radius R=3.71cm and central angle ∅=120°. With V=0 at infinity, what is the electric potential at P, the center of curvature of the rod?

Homework Equations

V=∫dV=∫kdq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

V=∫dV=∫kdq/r=(kλ)∫dΘ=(kλ)(2π/3), which is wrong.

The issue that I'm having with this problem is that I don't understand why the integration is done the way that it is. The equation I'm given to solve it is V=∫kdq/r, which equals out to V=kq/r after the integration. I'm confused because this is just the same exact equation used to find V for point charges. Why are you not required to put the integral in terms of theta and integrate over the length of the arc? If the charge distribution were kept as a straight rod, then I would have to integrate over the entire distribution, but since its a circular arc that just goes out the window.

Physics news on Phys.org
WELCOME TO PF!

Alec11 said:
V=∫dV=∫kdq/r=(kλ)∫dΘ=(kλ)(2π/3), which is wrong.
Why do you say this is wrong?

The equation I'm given to solve it is V=∫kdq/r, which equals out to V=kq/r after the integration. I'm confused because this is just the same exact equation used to find V for point charges. Why are you not required to put the integral in terms of theta and integrate over the length of the arc?

Consider V=∫kdq/r.
k is a constant. Is r also a constant for this integration?

Because I tried doing that for this homework problem and it results in a wrong answer. I looked up how to do it and someone said that you just reduce the equation to V=kq/r, which gives the correct answer. This held true for every homework problem with circular arc shaped charge distributions. And yes, r is a constant for this integration.

Alec11 said:
Because I tried doing that for this homework problem and it results in a wrong answer.
What value did you use for λ?
And yes, r is a constant for this integration.
OK, so what does the integral ∫kdq/r reduce to if you "pull out" all the constants?

TSny said:
What value did you use for λ?

I calculated λ=Q/(rθ) = (-25.6x10^(-12))/((2π/3)*(0.0371)) = (-3.29x10^(-10)) C/m

TSny said:
OK, so what does the integral ∫kdq/r reduce to if you "pull out" all the constants?

It becomes (k/r)∫dq

Alec11 said:
I calculated λ=Q/(rθ) = (-25.6x10^(-12))/((2π/3)*(0.0371)) = (-3.29x10^(-10)) C/m
Looks good. What value did you get for V when you used this value of λ?
It becomes (k/r)∫dq
Good. What does ∫dq evaluate to?

TSny said:
Looks good. What value did you get for V when you used this value of λ?

I get V = -6.20V, which actually turns out to be right. Looking back at my previous attempts, it seems I accidentally went from dq => rθdθ, instead of dq => rdθ, which explains why I thought I was wrong originally. Thanks for helping me figure that out!

OK. Glad it got cleared up.

1. What is potential difference due to a continuous charge distribution?

Potential difference due to a continuous charge distribution refers to the difference in electric potential between two points in a continuous distribution of charges. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in the distribution.

2. How is potential difference calculated for a continuous charge distribution?

Potential difference is calculated by taking the integral of the electric field over the distance between the two points in the distribution. This can be represented by the equation V = -∫ab E(x)dx, where E(x) is the electric field and a and b are the two points in the distribution.

3. What factors affect potential difference in a continuous charge distribution?

Potential difference is affected by the magnitude and distribution of charges in the system, as well as the distance between the two points in the distribution. It is also influenced by the medium in which the charges are located, as different materials have different permittivity values that affect the electric field.

4. How does potential difference relate to electric potential energy?

Potential difference is directly related to electric potential energy, as it is a measure of the energy difference between two points in the distribution. The greater the potential difference, the greater the electric potential energy and the more work is required to move a charge between the two points.

5. Can potential difference be negative in a continuous charge distribution?

Yes, potential difference can be negative in a continuous charge distribution. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the movement of charge, resulting in a negative work done. In other words, the potential energy decreases as the charge moves from one point to another.